• Jennifer Yang
  • "What's the best to way to spend 3 days in Rio? How can I safely travel within the city? Where is a good night time hangout that is safe?"

What's the best to way to spend 3 days in Rio? How can I safely travel within the city? Where is a good night time hangout that is safe?

• Ipanema Beach (attraction)

Av. Marquês de Sapucaí Rio de Janeiro 26285-060 0xx21 25027122

• Santa Teresa (attraction)

Rio de Janeiro Rio de Janeiro

• Lapa - Rua do Lavrádio (restaurant)

Rio de Janeiro RJ 20230070 (21) 2224-8345

• Annemarie Dooling

Hi Jennifer. Rio has an expansive subway system (http://www.metrorio.com.br/en/)Rio subway, but you can also take cabs, and, depending on what areas you want to visit, cab may be faster. If you're a first time visitor, you may want to stay along the beach in Copacabana or Ipanema Beach ; Leblon is also on the beach, but is the scene of heavy protesting right now. There are dozens of bars and restaurants in the hotels and lining the beach, so you won't want for any ideas, and it's safe since it's often crowded until the late hours.

If you've visited before, Santa Teresa is an artsy neighborhood on top of a hill, but definitely more adventurous than the beachside nabes. Also, the Lapa - Rua do Lavrádio district is full of nightlife. I really like Rio Scenarium but Lapa 40 Graus is popular, too. Lapa is a safe neighborhood that can be plagued by pickpockets during the night, so just be smart about your personal items.

If you decide to go by taxi, try Transcoopass Rádio Táxi at the airport, and get their card before you disembark so that you can call them from wherever you are. They have treated me best on my travels in Brazil thus far.

• Jennifer Y.

Jennifer Y.

Thank you so much for all the valuable info. I think we will be staying in Impanema area. I didn't realize the protests are still on-going. Thanks for the heads up to stay away from Leblon. · (2 likelikes)

• Annemarie D.

Annemarie D.

Of course! If you're looking for samba, Rio Scenarium is a samba club, and there are many in Lapa. Also, the different neighborhoods that make up the carnival teams each have a different club. One of the famous ones is Unidos de Tijuca. You can go and watch them practice and learn to dance yourself: http://unidosdatijuca.com.br/pt/ · (2 likelikes)

1. Copacabana (attraction)
    2. Ipanema Beach (attraction)
    3. Santa Teresa (attraction)
    4. Lapa - Rua do Lavrádio (restaurant)
    5. Rio Scenarium (attraction)
    6. Lapa 40 Graus (attraction)
    7. Transcoopass Rádio Táxi (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Annemarie a Thank You Note