• Peter Pham
  • "Where's a great family-friendly hotel we should stay at for one night?"

Where's a great family-friendly hotel we should stay at for one night?

We are driving from Sonoma, thru Redwood National Park on the way to Crater Lake. We'll probably drive in one night and out late afternoon the next. So figure 7am-3pm enjoying the park. We are going in August. We are with 3 kids. Also, should we do 2 adjoining rooms or a suite?

• Kenin Bassart

Hey Peter,

I'm not sure about a great hotel in the area, since the last we visited we drove through to Oakland before stopping. I did however have a great tip for you about the redwoods. There is an area just North of Redwood National Park that allows you to get a much higher level of interaction with the Redwoods than you ever would at the National Park. It's located North of Crescent City and the area is called Stout Grove Redwoods where you can drive a dirt road through the grove, and get out and actually touch and climb the trees. It's a pretty secluded area neat a camp ground, so it's normally very quiet and not too crowded. Here's a blog post that we wrote about the spot that should help you find it. - Here are two different sets of directions I found for it as well that are a bit more detailed-

"From Crescent City, drive east on Highway 199. Continue past the Jedediah Smith campground entrance, the Hiouchi Information Center, and the town of Hiouchi. Immediately after crossing the Myrtle Creek bridge, turn right and cross the Smith River on a second bridge. Pass the Forks Launch Facility and continue across Craigs Creek on another bridge. Immediately after this bridge, bear right at a 3-way intersection. Cross a short covered bridge and continue through a residential area. The paved road surface gives way to dirt as you enter the redwoods. Continue for another mile and a half until you reach a paved road to your right. Turn right onto this road to reach the Stout Grove parking area.

The grove can also be reached by driving Howland Hill Road from the south, a much longer (5 mile) but also much more scenic drive on a narrow dirt road."

Stout Grove Redwoods

Keep Ramblin',

Kenin

• Valerie A.

Valerie A.

Beautiful trees!! · (1 likelikes)

This sounds like a great hidden gem. I'll have to check it out! · (0 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

What a fabulous photo! · (0 likelikes)

1. Redwood National Park (park)
    2. Stout Grove Redwoods (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Kenin a Thank You Note