• Zoë Sonofabear
  • "Best way to get from Pula, Croatia, to Florence, Italy "

Zoë Sonofabear

Palo Alto, California

Best way to get from Pula, Croatia, to Florence, Italy

I will be traveling via train for about three weeks and one of my trips will be trying to get from Pula (town in northern Croatia) to Florence from July 14-16. I can leave anytime on the 14th and would like to get into Florence before it gets dark, or around 7pm. Where should I stop? Was looking into Ljubljana, Slovenia, or just backtracking a bit to Zagreb, Croatia for a night. I think I'll do one short trip (5-6 hours) and one overnight train, with a night spent in one city. Order of the overnight vs short trip train doesn't really matter. Want to find an interesting city, good for solo traveling, and not too expensive (Need a hostel for around $30 a night or less). Thanks! Any tips appreciated.  

• Venice (city)

Venice Veneto

• Ljubljana (city)

Ljubljana

• Tony Wright

You've got so many great options, it's hard to pick. I always try to spend less time traveling and more time AT a destination, so I'd aim nearby.

Rovinj is a good bet. It's super pretty but a touch touristy (which can be good and bad).RovinjThere are ferries and busses to Venice early in the morning that get you there before noon, too. While it's challenging to find a cheap place to stay in Venice, I think it'd be great to spend a day there if you can.

I haven't been to Ljubljana, but it looks stunning and just made Lonely Planet's "Best in Europe" list at #2: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/europe/travel-tips-and-articles/lonely-planets-best-in-europe-2014

It looks pretty stunning and is probably a helluva lot cheaper than Venice.

Ljubljanaimage from discoverthetrip.comIt's a bit of a haul, but one of the natural highlights of a 9 month trip for us was Plitvice Lakes National Park.

Plitvice Lakes National Park(we have a whole post on it if you end up thinking about that as an option).

1. Rovinj (city)
    3. Ljubljana (city)
    4. Plitvice Lakes National Park (park)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tony a Thank You Note