• Edward Summanen
  • "Best places and months for visiting lavender fields?"

Edward Summanen

Stockholm, Sweden

Best places and months for visiting lavender fields?

I have a romantic/silly dream about standing in the middle of a lavender field in the Provence-Alpes-Côte D'Azur region in France. When should I go? Where should I go? Is the village Banon a good choice? Thank you!

• Courtney Robinson

Hi, Edward,

Banon is a good choice in terms of location--I think it's in if not at least very close to the Valensole region which is the area known for being the lavender hot-spot of France--but as far as a town goes, unless you really just want to relax it might be a little boring.

Although it means you'd have to do some driving I, personally, would probably stay in Aix-en-Provence. It's an amazing, beautiful, lively city with a lot going for it, and pretty much right in line with the freeway that would take you into lavender territory.

Edward--I just found the name and site of the place I stayed in in Aix last time. The woman who runs it is named is Monique Faillard and she runs a painting school out of her house--she also rents little apartments (within her giant home) and the place is nothing less than magical. This is a true Provençal home--not one of those horrible faux-French McChateaux that are all over the place. I'd stay there again in heartbeat--Monique and her family invited us to join their family parties in the courtyard (which they seemed to have practically every night--one night she made us dress up in Egyptian costumes) and really made everything so special. Here's the site if you want it--I'm not sure why she doesn't advertise the apartments on here--just ask her and I'm sure she'll give you the rates:

If you're not into that and just really want to be right in the thick of it, I would say either Riez or even Apt would be on my short list. I don't think either is as exciting as Aix by a long shot, but they're lovely.

There's also a little town called Digne-les-Bains that has a bit lavender festival each year. It's a very sweet event but I don't know that I would necessarily stay in the town just for that.

Also, make sure you visit a town in the area called Moustiers-Sainte-Marie. It's known for it's pottery and while I really don't care for the pottery, I LOVE this town. So, so pretty.

The lavender is in season from about July to late August and I would suggest that you and anyone you go with make sure you're not allergic to lavender before you go--it is strong there and let's just say I learned that lesson the hard way the first time!

• Edward S.

Edward S.

Thank you so very very much! I'll make sure to check up on allergies beforehand. ;) I've now booked a flight and a car in the middle of July and are looking forward to stopping by some of your great suggestions! · (0 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Hey, Edward--you're going to LOVE it! It's such an amazing part of the world! I just added the address of where I stayed--be sure to check it out! · (1 likelikes)

• Edward S.

Edward S.

Thank you once again Courtney! :D · (0 likelikes)

1. Banon (city)
    2. Valensole (city)
    3. Aix-en-Provence (city)
    4. Riez (city)
    5. Apt (city)
    6. Digne-les-Bains (city)
    7. Moustiers-Sainte-Marie (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note