• Tye Rogerson
  • "Proof of onward travel and spontaneity"

Tye Rogerson

Seattle, Washington

Proof of onward travel and spontaneity

Many countries require "proof of onward travel," which often means a plane or bus ticket purchased in advance proving you will leave the country on a specific date. 

This makes it hard to be spontaneous, and it means purchasing a one-way flight can become a bit of an obstacle course. I understand sometimes it's possible to procure a fake ticket to get past border control and then do as you like, but aren't there legitimate ways around this? 

How have you found ways of being spontaneous while still meeting all the stringent requirements of entry? 

• Anthony Maw

Panama is one such country that requires proof of onward travel. I got in at an overland border crossing from Costa Rica by showing the immigration agent a travel itinerary on my iPhone screen.

Others faked it with a web booking airline itinerary printout even though they never bought the ticket it just showed a valid flight number on a specific date and airport that they intended to take.

At no time did the immigration officer try to verify the information.

Its also usually only necesaary to show proof that you have to be somewhere else in the future, like an airline ticket in another country.

• ·
    • ·

Send Anthony a Thank You Note