Recommendations for Portugal

My husband and I are planning on 10-12 days  in Portugal in September then a few days across Northern Spain (Bilbao) then possibly into France up to Biarritz. We plan one driving throughout the trip. Any recommendations in terms of "must sees" along the way? Thanks!!

• Lisbon (city)

Lisbon

• Porto (city)

Porto

• Sintra (attraction)

Sintra Lisboa

• Marc Charles Thornburgh

Not sure that you can rent a car in Portugal and drop off in Spain or France, however when are we leaving???

All suggestions below are great, but time will be a problem. For my 60th birthday, my wife and I flew into Madrid for a couple of days and met up with our two sons and wives, then off to Bilbao, San Sebastian (the best food and great Basque wines!), and País Vasco (stay in the paradors..they are state owned and run and are generally inexpensive old castles), to Biarritz (old casino beach town, probably not worth taking time away from all else) back to Spain for dinner at ElBulli then flew to Morocco from Barcelona for three weeks. From Marrakech we flew to Porto (2 nights necessary), rented a car and spent three nights visiting the Douro Valley (whatever else you do, do this...the most spectacular wine country we've every visited) then down through the mountains (Obidos is great) to Lisbon for a week or so and visited all the towns listed below.

Realistically, your best bet is to do a loop out of Lisbon up to Oporto across to Basque country (if you have the time), or just stay in Portugal. We did not go south of Lisbon because that is where most beach tourists go, and I wouldn't waste any time in central Portugal, with the exception of Obidos and the shiest villages in the mountains. The dollar goes a long way, the food was mostly unexciting and the wine cheap and really good! Desfrute!

Forgot to mention the eclectic articles that can be found on Roads and Kingdoms http://roadsandkingdoms.com/2012/broken-songs-of-lisbon/

• Aloringny ..

Aloringny ..

Did you rent a car by any chance when in Portugal? any advice? · (1 likelikes)

• Marc T.

Marc T.

Aloringny: sorry about the answer delay but we have been traveling from SF to our hotel in Vail (AustriaHausHotel.com). It's snowing! I don't remember who we rented from in Oporto, and you are probably familiar with getting the best price in general (more on that below), but number one recommendation is that you get a small car for exploring, especially if you plan on driving in the mountains...very narrow. I prefer a compact over economy category since it is always sportier and more fun to drive, but I also think there is a mini category available in some of Europe, which is the most fun. We have owned a travel agency for 30 years and can sometimes get a better rate through our agency, but mostly to get the best price we check and re-check prices (because they fluctuate a lot) on Orbitz or similar. Orbitz (and others) make that easy because they have a one click stored searches option. If, for example, Eurocar has the best rate in the category we are interested in (rarely with them), I will first look for any coupons they might have on the internet and book direct on their site. Even if they don't have any coupons, I always join whatever they are offering as a club or frequent user (sic) because there is usually a cost or service benefit for being a member. Don't ever buy prepay for the small discount since there will probably be a better price closer to pick-up from some other company. Finally, its worth trying the opaques like Priceline, but base your offer on a discount to the best price you have found rather than the best price offered by Hertz. It rarely works, but it does sometimes. · (0 likelikes)

1. Portugal (country)
    2. Spain (country)
    3. France (country)
    4. Madrid (city)
    5. Bilbao (city)
    6. San Sebastian (city)
    7. País Vasco (unknown)
    8. Biarritz (city)
    9. ElBulli (attraction)
    10. Morocco (country)
    11. Barcelona (city)
    12. Marrakech (city)
    13. Porto (city)
    14. Douro Valley (restaurant)
    15. Obidos (city)
    16. Lisbon (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Marc a Thank You Note