• Jonathan Adler
  • "Porto OR Lisbon for 7 day trip to Portugal?"

Jonathan Adler

Tel Aviv, Israel

Porto OR Lisbon for 7 day trip to Portugal?

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I will be in Portugal at the end of August for 7 days.

We're trying to figure out how to plan this trip, but we all the time hear about so many great places that it's hard for us to decide.

The first big question is should we try to fit both Lisbon and Porto in our trip? or should we focus on one of these cities?  We are currently leaning towards staying in Lisbon only.

Which brings me to the second question:

If we stay only in Lisbon, we heard that Cascais and Sintra is a must, should we stay there overnight, or will it be better to rent a room in Lisboa and make day trips to both of the locations?

Which brings me to the last question:

We're looking for rooms/apartments in airbnb (which all look really really great), we have lots to choose from, but we don't know what areas are better to stay in.
We would like to be close to the center, but not too close if it's very touristic and noisy. And we also want to be close to the night club / pubs / restaurants areas (which we understand are Bairro Alto - [the more classical?] and Cais do Sodré [the more hip?]), so that we can get back to our place safely at night.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

• Lisbon (city)

Lisbon

• Cascais (city)

Cascais Lisboa

• Porto (city)

Porto

• Serena McClain

I think you can fit both!

Porto and Lisbon are both AMAZING, but honestly, Porto is so small that two nights there is still enough time to feel like you've explored the city.

Lisbon is amazing, and you could easily spend weeks there and not see it all, but I think that five days is enough to cover everything you want to see and still get a great feel for the city. I only had three days there and I of course I wished I had more time, but even three days was decent.

Regarding where to stay, my husband and I stayed here in Lisbon and it was one of our favorite accommodations of our entire six-week trip: Lisbon Short Stay http://www.lisbonshortstay.com/

(and check booking.com - I found their prices were slightly cheaper than booking directly).

The location is perfect - you're right in the middle of the city, close to two central metro stops, and walking distance to Bairro Alto and most of the places you would want to go at night.

For Porto, we stayed at Pão de Açúcar (Pao de Acucar). We didn't love the hotel, but the area was very central, so I'm sharing it so you can get a sense of location. Porto is so small that while the river area (which is the most popular/touristy for hotels and food) seems far away on a map, it's really an easy 10 minute walk. From our hotel we were easily able to walk to the nightlife of Rua da Galeria de Paris and Rua Cândido dos Reis.

I'm jealous! I can't wait to go back to Portugal. You will love it!

• Jonathan A.

Jonathan A.

Hey Serena, thanks for the answer! Do you know anything about Cascais and Sintra? I'm assuming that if we go to Porto we'll have to give up going to these two locations. Or will we be able to fit them all in? Thanks again! · (0 likelikes)

• Serena M.

Serena M.

Hi Jonathan, You can easily do both of those as day trips - Sintra is only 20 miles from Lisbon, Cascais 30 miles - but if you plan to do them both in the same day, it could be a little packed, though it's definitely possible. If you plan to do an overnight, you'd probably have to skip Porto. Most people, including us, just did a day trip to Sintra. · (1 likelikes)

• Juli K.

Juli K.

Serena, could I ask what was the place you stayed at in Lisbon? I have been checking lisbonshortstay.com just wondered which one you stayed at? · (0 likelikes)

1. Porto (city)
    2. Lisbon (city)
    3. Lisbon Short Stay (attraction)
    4. Pão de Açúcar (hotel)
    5. Rua da Galeria de Paris (attraction)
    6. Rua Cândido dos Reis (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Serena a Thank You Note