• Peter Kim
  • "How is transportation from the Airport to the Downtown area?"

Peter Kim

Los Angeles, California

How is transportation from the Airport to the Downtown area?

I've never been out there and I'm planning on heading out there soon. I was wondering how transportation is from the airport to the downtown area. I'm considering renting a car because I wanted to drive down to the Wildlife Safari in Winston, Oregon for a day trip. But in any case I would still have to return the car and I read in one of the other answers that transportation around Portland is great so it sounds like I wouldn't need a car too badly around town. 

So back to the original question, what would be the best and most cost effective way to get from the airport to downtown?

• Debbie Lee

Public transportation in Portland is amazeballs! The times I've been there, I've either had a car myself or had friends with cars and we still opted to take public transportation part of the time. As for public transportation from PDX to downtown Portland, they've got that covered, too! I just copy and pasted this from a Portland tourism site because they do a much better job explaining it than I would:

The MAX light rail Red Line is the easiest way to travel to and from the airport. Here are some quick facts:

• The trip between the airport and downtown Portland takes about 38 minutes.
    • An adult ticket costs $2.50 (Youth $1.65, Honored Citizen $1). MAX ticket machines return change in coins, so small bills are recommended.
    • You can roll your luggage on board.
    • The first train of the day arrives at PDX at 4:45 a.m. The last train departs PDX at 11:58 p.m.
    • The MAX station and ticket machines are located on the lower level, next to the south baggage claim area (turn right at the base of the escalator). View airport map.

For complete schedules and more information, visit www.trimet.org/schedules/maxredline.htm.

Here's the page where that comes from and they even have more options if you'd like, but I think the MAX Light Rail's probably the most convenient and cost-effective.

As for going to the Wildlife Safari , I would rent a car for just that trip because it's a three hour drive each way! You can probably just do a one day car rental in the city and not the airport.

Have fun there and have a Stumptown Coffee and a Voodoo Doughnut for me! Portland's a great city :)

• Peter K.

Peter K.

Thanks for the awesome answer Debbie! Sounds like transportation around there is pretty easy and pretty cheap as well. During my time on Trippy, I've learned about Stumptown and Voodoo which have been on my list of things to visit for some time now. Are there any other "can't miss" things in Portland? I'm a Nike dude so of course there's that and then there's some of the food places Eddie Huang mentioned on an episode of "Cheap Bites" I wanna check out. · (1 likelikes)

You're welcome, Peter! You should post another question for must-do things in Portland so I can tag more places and have it appear on a pretty map! ;) · (0 likelikes)

1. Portland (city)
    2. Portland International Airport (PDX) (attraction)
    3. Wildlife Safari (attraction)
    4. Stumptown Coffee Roasters (restaurant)
    5. Voodoo Doughnuts (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Debbie a Thank You Note