Sarah Washburn

Saint Louis, Missouri

Renting a car?

In November, a group of 4 of us are staying on Cozumel. Instead of taking a tour from our resort to visit ruins, we are interested in handling it ourselves. We want to rent a car from Playa del Carmen and drive to visit Coba and Tulum and anything else interesting for the day. Any advice on a rental car company? Tips or things to look out for? How long we should imagine for this type of day trip? And as always, any suggestions about the area are MUCH appreciated.  We don't want to be stuck on a tour bus following the tour timeline!

• Jason Shugars

Great idea! This is exactly what I did the 1st time I visited Playa del Carmen. Rented a car in town and did all the ruins, including the 3 hour drive to Chichén Itzá and overnight stay. Definitely the best way to see the Yucatán Peninsula. Great highways, safe roads, and freedom! I don't have a specific car company to recommend, I think I used Orbitz or some other online service or maybe the hotel, but obviously don't buy the insurance as your credit card will cover it. I'd also advice taking pictures with your phone, both before and after, as I've heard some companies will try to claim damage after the fact when you're probably not checking your statement. I'd also plan on getting a small 4x4, but not required. Also rent for a couple days to give yourself some additional leverage and freedom.

In terms of timing, I'd give yourselves a full day to see and explore Tulum and the surrounding areas. Tulum itself only takes an hour or 2, depending on how detailed you want to get. There's also a beach below the ruins you should be able to hang out at and pretend you're truly living the Mayan holiday escape lifestyle. If you're into snorkeling, Xel Ha is not bad and along the way. There's a few more good snorkeling spots which aren't as touristy. Overall, we did a ruins visit and snorkel expedition day trip from Playa del Carmen. Then an overnight in Chichén Itzá.

Bottomline: Skip the tour buses and rent a car for freedom and adventure!

1. Playa del Carmen (city)
    2. Chichén Itzá (attraction)
    3. Yucatán Peninsula (attraction)
    4. Tulum (city)
    5. Tulum (city)
    6. Xel Ha (attraction)
    7. Playa del Carmen (city)
    8. Chichén Itzá (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jason a Thank You Note