Courtney Robinson

Los Angeles, California

Solo female traveler

Can someone share their thoughts about how safe/unsafe the Philippines is for a solo female traveler? I'm pretty experienced trraveling alone but never in this part of the world. Thanks in advance!

• Heather G.

Heather G.

Would love to know this answer too - am planning to scuba dive there and considering a solo trip in the next year or so, thanks! · (0 likelikes)

• Jason Drilon

Like any country, there are some dodgy places that are best avoided - but it really is a safe, friendly place to be in.

It also depends on which part of the country you're going to.

To get around the city (Metro Manila), it would be advisable to use one of the new Taxi apps that just launched:

GrabTaxi

Just be careful about your data roaming charges on your mobile as this needs to connect to the Internet quite a bit.

On the food front, you can download Looloo, one of our local foodie apps. The reviews are done by a great bunch of hungry people, so you can always research on where to eat (and stay, actually - they do hotels, too). No fluff here, just the local community helping each other out on what's best to eat and where to stay, etc.

Looloo (works on iOS only)

Safe travels!

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

That's great, Jason--I'll definitely try those apps! · (1 likelikes)

• Karlo d.

Karlo d.

Great suggestion with looloo. Although i have to say, Grab taxi doesnt really guarantee you safety. Grab taxi simply gets you a taxi so be vigilant still. Unfortunately, its normally useless during rush hour or when its raining since many people want to get a cab and theres a lack of it during those times. Its still a handy app to have. Better than nothing. · (2 likelikes)

• Jason D.

Jason D.

@Karlo d. Agreed. Presence of mind still rules above all, though I find GrabTaxi pretty safe and reliable, especially now that they're piloting the GrabCar concept, much like Uber. Btw, Courtney, Uber is now active in Manila! You can use that too for travel around the Metro. No cash needed as you are charged direct to your credit card. · (1 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jason a Thank You Note