• Hannah Grant
  • "What is there to do in Philly besides eat cheese steaks?"

Hannah Grant

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

What is there to do in Philly besides eat cheese steaks?

My bf just surprised me with plane tickets to Philly next month!!  We're going to be staying at an inn in Center City for 5 days and I'm mega stoked because this will be the first time I'll visited as an adult (last time I was there I was 11).

The only thing I really remember about Philly is Geno's, so what other restaurants, bars and attractions should we see?  Our limitation is that we're on a lower end budget, so nothing too fancy (like $30-$40 meals max), but we do want to experience what Philly has to offer.  We hadn't planned on renting a car so what is public transportation like?  Should we rent a car?

• Thom Lehman

Hanna,

It helps to know your other interests, but I also like to travel on a budget so I have ideas. Public Transit is easy and will get you to good places. You can depend on getting most places east & west by traveling on the Market/Frankford El (Blue line) and north-south on the Broad Street Line (Orange). Don’t recommend going north unless you know what you are doing. Center city (look up boundaries) is very safe. Here are my known favorite cheap/free places that even some Philadelphians don't know about:

Touristy not to miss:

Rittenhouse Square – Great park to hang in and the surrounding neighborhoods are beautiful to hang out and walk in. Starbucks at 17th and Spruce is one of my favorite in the world that I have visited. Nice vibe and they can make any coffee individually that Starbuscks sells on their Clover machine (not found everywhere).

Philadelphia Museum of Art - One of the county's best

Reading Terminal Market - I've lived in Philly region since 1983 and still haven't eaten my way through all this place has to offer. Great Mexican, Amish, Middle Eastern and Diner food. Try cookies, coffee, snacks. Great for breakfast or lunch. Saturdays are mobbed.

9th Street Italian Market - Philadelphia - Grittier but an awesome experience. Go to Fante's , Di Bruno Bros. , Claudio's and Sarcone's Bakery . Just enjoy sites and sounds. I just discovered an olive oil and vinegar store (sounds weird!) Try it; you can sample anything in store. Visit Saturday.

Walnut Street Shopping: Between 8th and 22nd streets. Visit Urban Outfitters , Anthropologie (they started in Philadelphia) and anything else that looks interesting.

Chinatown – Not as big or interesting as NYC’s Chinatown but there are some gems. Cheap eats in Chinatown:

Chinese: Lee How Fook ($)

Chinese: Tasty Place ($) for the really adventuresome! In a basement supermarket that is only found by going in and down the steps accessible from 11th street and another one on Race street. Proportion is huge for the price, very tasty (little greasy) but light on sauces. The service is awesome, restaurant is cleaner than the grocery store but is still divey.

Vietnamese: Vietnam Restaurant ($$)

Chinese Noodle Soup (Like Pho): Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodle House ($)

Any Chinese Bakery: Highly recommend Chinese Butter Buns!

Lesser Traveled Path:

Northern Liberties – Great neighborhood to stroll in daylight/late afternoon. Easily accessible from the Frankford El (blue subway). Start at the Piazza (feels like Italy) and work your way walking around the artsy neighborhoods. Lots of restaurant choices. A family favorite is Dmitri's (Greek Seafood) for really nice meal on the casual dining side but more expensive. There are plenty of other choices for bars. I’m a beer geek and love the Foodery for singles and great sandwiches. If neighborhood starts to look sketchy, return the way you came from.

Ortliebs – Used to be a jazz house but now features other small stage musical gigs. Great vibe, decent food. Go more for experience and atmosphere.

World Cafe Live - Music/food venue. Has free at noon concerts. Check website for schedule and tune in to World Cafe on internet radio WXPN.

Loews Philadelphia Hotel – For the best free views of the city in all directions. This is near Reading Terminal Market . You can enter the hotel and go straight to elevators and take to 33rd floor. Walk around and enjoy the views. There is temporary restaurant in the observatory. Ask to look at view. I visit at lunch sometimes to look around and don’t get food.

Old City District – neighborhood between Northern Liberties and the Historic district. Art galleries galore. Fun to poke around and has some good casual cafes and bars. The first Friday nite of the month all the art galleries are open and there are lots of people. It has a great vibe.

Curtis Institute Of Music : Near Rittenhouse has free student recitals. Check website for schedule. These are mostly up & coming classical musicians (I have also seen Jazz here)

My favorite eats for $30 and under:

Food Truck Gyros: Almost anywhere in the city that sells them is awesome. I think they put crack in the Tatziki sauce J it’s so good!

Manakeesh Cafe Bakery – Lebanese pita with unearthly toppings ($). In west Philadelphia near the University of Pennsylvania. Worth the trip and easy access from the El (blue subway). Explore university area if you go here. Don’t travel any farther west only walk east and during the day.

Monk's Cafe ($$): Best burgers, frites, mussels and of course beer.

Nodding Head Brewery & Restaurant ($): Go for the handcrafted beer brewed on site. Same owner as Monks.

Dmitri's ($$): In Northern Liberties and also on Fitler Square.

Jake's Sandwich Board : Pork Sandwiches! ($)

Pat's King of Steaks ($) the original. Across from Ginos. My favorite to take first-timers to.

Jim's Steaks ($): on South Street . You always get a show here!

Honey's On South ( South Street ) ($): Awesome breakfast and great, great vibe. Also has place in Northern Liberties.

Dahlak – Spicy hot Ethiopian/Eritrean food that you eat with hands. So good!

XIX ($$ for cocktails/drinks;$$$for dinner): Top of the Hyatt – Bellevue; beautiful, minimal atmosphere with views.

Fat Salmon ($$): Great lunch place. Japanese food, minimalist interior.

Buddakan ($$): One of few Steven Starr restaurants I can afford…and only for lunch. His restaurants are very dramatic spaces and food is always great! The portions are family style, so one entrée feeds two. At lunch you should be able to experience alcohol on budget.

El Vez ($$) – Steven Starr Mexican; great funky décor, great drinks, great fresh food.

Parc Brasserie on Rittenhouse Square ($$) – Steven Starr restaurant. Food is French and good. Go here if weather is great.

Above all, Philadelphia is a walkable city. Get out and explore and walk. There are many great parks and green neighborhoods. If you stay within Center City you should be able to walk day and night without problems.

• Hannah G.

Hannah G.

WOW! THANK YOU THOMAS! So much to do! Now I'm thinking we're spending too little time in Philly. Can't wait! · (1 likelikes)

• Thom L.

Thom L.

Post comments after you visit. Thanks. · (1 likelikes)

1. Rittenhouse Square (attraction)
    2. Starbucks (restaurant)
    3. Philadelphia Museum of Art (attraction)
    4. Reading Terminal Market (restaurant)
    5. 9th Street Italian Market - Philadelphia (neighborhood)
    6. Fante's (attraction)
    7. Di Bruno Bros. (attraction)
    8. Claudio's (attraction)
    9. Sarcone's Bakery (restaurant)
    10. Urban Outfitters (attraction)
    11. Anthropologie (attraction)
    12. Chinatown (attraction)
    13. Lee How Fook (restaurant)
    14. Tasty Place (restaurant)
    15. Vietnam Restaurant (attraction)
    16. Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodle House (restaurant)
    17. Northern Liberties (neighborhood)
    18. Dmitri's (restaurant)
    19. Ortliebs (attraction)
    20. World Cafe Live (attraction)
    21. Loews Hotel Philadelphia (hotel)
    22. Reading Terminal Market (restaurant)
    23. Old City District (attraction)
    24. Curtis Institute Of Music (attraction)
    25. Manakeesh Cafe Bakery (restaurant)
    26. Monk's Cafe (restaurant)
    27. Nodding Head Brewery & Restaurant (attraction)
    28. Dmitri's (restaurant)
    29. Jake's Sandwich Board (restaurant)
    30. Pat's King of Steaks (restaurant)
    31. Jim's Steaks (restaurant)
    32. South Street (attraction)
    33. Honey's On South (restaurant)
    34. South Street (attraction)
    35. Dahlak (restaurant)
    36. XIX (restaurant)
    37. Fat Salmon (attraction)
    38. Buddakan (restaurant)
    39. El Vez (restaurant)
    40. Parc Brasserie (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Thom a Thank You Note