Valorie Darling

Spokane, Washington

Two weeks in Peru

I'm traveling to Peru the end of July/beginning of August and plan on hiking Machu Picchu (maybe just train?) and want to eat the best food, have an epic adventure and do some less touristy stuff. Thoughts on fantastic dining, sites, travel companies or hotels? Thank you!!

• Julian Sabos

:D I just came back so it's still fresh :P In Lima (Peru) you can go at the "Plaza de Armas" (picture below)this is the main plaza in Lima there's the Government Palace, you can visit it.
    Lima (Peru)image from travel.nationalgeographic.comClose to it there's a good restaurant called T'anta, do not pay attention to the others, when I was eating there, a congressman came to eat also so... Try Maracuya Sour it's Pisco (grape alcohol) with passion fruit it's marvelous. You can eat what ever you want or what ever you can it's very good and cheap. I tried something with beef, red and yellow pepper. It was amazing, I was surprised by the quality of the food also they have a two restaurants which are in the top twenty of the best restaurants in the world http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners#t11-20 Visit the Miraflores Lima it's very nice.

If you want more adventure, take a bus, for exemple http://www.cruzdelsur.com.pe/ goto Ica and then Dunas Huacachina enjoy a buggy tour and do some sandboarding (it's included usually) you will be in the desert (the following picture is mine) so yes there's desert in Peru (One day is enough here).Dunas Huacachina

Take a bus goto Nazca, and goto visit the Nazca Lines Nazca Linesimage from december2012endofworld.com20/30 minutes by plane for 60$ it's very nice and if you like peruvian glyphes you will be amazed, also prefer going in the early in morning (arounf 10) or at the end of the day (4 or 5), you have to go to the Aeropuerto Maria Reiche so check the opening hours.

Take another bus, goto ParacasParacasimage from volker.umpfenbach.deand visit the national reserve, it's very nice, try to find a tour (bargain) I've payed 25 Soles ($9) Usually they will take you to their restaurants and "force" you to eat into but it's cheap 30 soles so it doesn't matter very much. In paracas you can stay at the Kokopelli Paracas http://www.hostelkokopelli.com/ which is cheap and full of foreign people (they have Happy Hours from 9pm to 10pm on Pisco Sours in BOGO).

So Lima it's the easy adventure, then the middle level and here is the real adventure. From Lima, find a taxi or a bus to goto Nieve Nieve (You will have to get many tries before you will find someone), eat something at the restaurant, there's only one. Here the food is pure local you will pay nothing and it's not very refined you will have two choices, trout or chicken (I don't think people speak english here). If you speak spanish ask for the pre-inca village otherwise, go back from where you came by taxi, and on the right there's a path to the montains, if you walk like 10 minutes, you will see an old church with a couple of destroyed houses, human bones, broken pottery, in the church you will find some paintings on the walls. When you finished, you can walk back to Cieneguilla or Chontay and then find a taxi to go back to Lima. This is hard because it's difficult to find a taxi to go back to Lima. And if you walk all the way to Cieneguilla you will probably need 4/5 hours I think and the road is bad and certainly dangerous because of the peruvian way of driving.

So I did all of that in one week but I ran everywhere.

Enjoy your stay.

PS: Do not forget to bargain everything!! This is how Peru works, once we have payed for a taxi 75 Peruvians Cents for 3 which is... almost nothing 26 USD cents for a 5 minutes trip.

1. Lima (Peru) (city)
    2. Miraflores Lima (city)
    3. Ica (city)
    4. Dunas Huacachina (attraction)
    5. Nazca Lines (attraction)
    6. Aeropuerto Maria Reiche (attraction)
    7. Paracas (city)
    8. Kokopelli Paracas (hotel)
    9. Cieneguilla (attraction)
    10. Chontay (region)

• ·
    • ·

Send Julian a Thank You Note