• Melissa McCaffrey
  • "Your favorite lesser-known spots?"

Melissa McCaffrey

Massachusetts

Your favorite lesser-known spots?

My husband and I are spending four days in Paris in a couple of weeks at the tail-end of our honeymoon, and I'm looking for a favorite activity that wouldn't show up in a guidebook top 10 list.  We'll be hitting a lot of the most well-known spots but I'd love some suggestions for something more off the beaten path!

• Paris (city)

• Musée Carnavalet (attraction)

23 Rue Sévigné Paris 75003 01 44 59 58 58

• Pierre Hermé Paris (attraction)

72 Rue Bonaparte Paris 75006 01 43 54 47 77

• Jinny Oh

Hi Melissa,

Is there a chance that you might be open to exploring other nearby cities? I've spent 4 months living in France and I got to say that Paris was probably my least favorite just because it was way too overcrowded with tourists.

Other cities that I LOVED are Lyon, Lille, Beaune and Annecy.

Lille is probably the closest to Paris, only about an hour or so outside of the city, which you can get by train or bus (cheaper, try MegaBus or IDBus).

Beaune is this beautiful little wine-making city. Small, but lots to do in a day.

Lyon is one of my favorite places in the world. It's like Paris with all the beautiful architecture, history and the scenery, but minus all the tourists. It's about two hours on a train from Paris, runs every hour, anywhere between 20-90 Euros roundtrip depending on schedule and how early you buy the tickets.

Annecy is also one of the most beautiful places I've been to. It's on the boarder of France and Geneva, Switzerland. You can also reach here by train. It's a lake/mountain scenic city. Super cute architecture, something out of a Shakespeare story.

Check out some pictures on my blog here. General Trippy MediaGeneral Trippy MediaGeneral Trippy Media

AMAZING answer, Jinny, and nice blog you have there! Wish I got to explore these cities when I was in Geneva last year! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :) · (0 likelikes)

• Melissa M.

Melissa M.

Thanks for the info, but fortunately/unfortunately we leave next Friday and the trip is already booked! My husband has never been out of the country and has romantically dreamed of visiting Paris, and we're spending the prior week and a half city-hopping around Spain, so we'll be staying put in Paris :) · (0 likelikes)

• Jinny O.

Jinny O.

Melissa, then definitely go to Palace of Versailles. It's part of Paris, about 30min by metro from the center. The Palace is SUPER touristy so you have to go early or buy your ticket online to avoid all the craziness, but the town is pretty non-touristy since everyone just goes to the Palace for the day and then return to Paris. · (0 likelikes)

• Melissa M.

Melissa M.

Oh Versailles is already on our list - definitely a "top ten" type place :) · (0 likelikes)

2. Lyon (city)
    3. Lille (city)
    4. Beaune (attraction)
    5. Annecy (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jinny a Thank You Note