• Josie Castillo
  • "What are the 10 things I'll be kicking myself if I don't see?"

Josie Castillo

Chicago, Illinois

What are the 10 things I'll be kicking myself if I don't see?

I'm taking a much-anticipated solo trip to Paris next month and I am so excited!!! I'll only be there for four days so I need to really plan carefully. I'm not a big shopper so I don't need to see stores and I don't want to spend a lot of time at restaurants. I'd much rather see a really beautiful park or even something like a beautiful bridge or a great museum. I'm OK with anything touristy as long as it's really worth it. I realize there's only so much you can see in four days, but I'd love to come home feeling as if I'd really seen the best of the best!

• Eiffel Tower (attraction)

Parc du Champ de Mars Paris Île-de-France 75007 +33 892 70 12 39

• Musée d'Orsay (attraction)

62 Rue de Lille Paris Ile-de-France 75007 01 40 49 48 14

• Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)

Rue de Rivoli Paris Île-de-France 75001 09 70 44 67 96

• Courtney Robinson

Hey, Josie,

First of all, you're going to have blast! It's really, really hard to say what the top ten things are but here are my suggestions:

The first place I would go is the Marais District . It's an incredibly lively, always bustling area with endless people-watching, a couple of great museums (including one of my favorites, Musée Carnavalet which is about Paris itself and free to boot), and a fabulous nightlife. It's also a great place to go on a Sunday because everything is open in that area and that's not always true of most of the neighborhoods of Paris. The area square, Place des Vosges , is a great place for a stroll--full of art galleries and people playing classical music.

I think I would also put the Palais Royal on that list. It's a stunning, serene little park/arcade that seems to attract more locals than tourists. When I lived there I would often take an early evening stroll there every night. The boutiques in arcade are lovely, too, although I know you said you're not that into shopping.

If you like outdoor spaces, I would definitely not miss the Jardin des Tuileries . To say that it's stunning doesn't do it justice, and if you do a little reading about it, it has a pretty exciting history, too. I've often gone there and just stopped in my tracks to take it all in.

I agree that the Musée du Louvre is well worth seeing, but it's not my favorite museum in Paris--for me, that's the Musée d'Orsay . For my money, they often have the most interesting exhibits and even permanent collection. Even if you're not into art, it's worth it just for the view from the roof.

I also LOVE the Place Saint-Germain des Prés area. It's a bit like the Marais in that there's something wonderful about the hustle and bustle of it, although it's a notch more upscale in my opinion.

I know this sounds funny, but I absolutely, positively, would not miss going to a store called Deyrolle . It's a taxidermy store which I know sounds like a totally bizarre thing to recommend, but it's a Paris institution and something you shouldn't miss.

As long as I'm on the subject of stores, I would really try to get to one of the "passages" or covered shopping arcades. Even if you hate to shop, these are amazing architectural structures and often have good places for a quick bite. My favorites are the Passage Jouffroy which is sort of old and mysterious and the Galerie Vivienne, Paris. which has been restored and is stunning.

While we're on the subject of the bizarre, I would try to spend a couple of hours at Père Lachaise Cemetery . Pretty much every prominent Parisian is buried here and it's really fascinating.

Another of my most favorite places in the city is the Jardin du Luxembourg . It's one of the most popular parks in the city, so although it's often very crowded, it's still very much worth seeing.

I would also try to see the Opera Garnier . Admittedly, it's a tad over-the-top and, if looked at a certain way, even a little gaudy, but it's just so much fun that I would try to see it. Don't just stop at the lobby, though--explore the back rooms and hallways--that's where the really interesting architecture is.

I know this is super-cliche, but I would try to see the Eiffel Tower . I wouldn't bother going up it because it takes too much time, but I would try to at least see it up close. It's so breathtaking and is such a symbol of the city that it would be a shame to miss it. Personally, I think the best place to see it is from across the street from the Place du Trocadéro . Just don't plan on eating at any of the cafes over there--they are insanely overpriced.

Finally, I would try to fit in a boat ride or, as they call them, a Bateaux Mouches across the La Seine . It's a really wonderful way to get an initial sense of the city.

Have a great time--and remember to just walk as much as you can--you won't believe what you'll discover!!!

• Josie C.

Josie C.

Wow, thank you Courtney! I plan to do as much walking and discovering as I can! · (0 likelikes)

1. Marais District (attraction)
    2. Musée Carnavalet (attraction)
    3. Place des Vosges (attraction)
    4. Palais Royal (attraction)
    5. Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)
    6. Musée du Louvre (attraction)
    7. Musée d'Orsay (attraction)
    8. Place Saint-Germain des Prés (attraction)
    9. Deyrolle (attraction)
    10. Passage Jouffroy (attraction)
    11. Galerie Vivienne, Paris. (attraction)
    12. Père Lachaise Cemetery (attraction)
    13. Luxembourg Garden (attraction)
    14. Opera Garnier (attraction)
    15. Eiffel Tower (attraction)
    16. Place du Trocadéro (attraction)
    17. Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches (attraction)
    18. La Seine (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note