• Rosalie Cummings
  • "Paris Tour or explore independently?"

Paris Tour or explore independently?

Husband and I  will be in Paris for 3 or 4 days. Should we do a tour or do Paris independently? Also, could you recommend a fabulous tour?

• Sean Kelly

Hey Rosalie,

Interested in a dissenting opinion. Well, here it comes!

I never take a tour unless it guarantees entry into a venue I might not be able to get into on my own. Neuschwanstein castle is a good example. You can go there, buy a ticket, but if things back up they give priority to bus tours. You may have a valid ticket but never get in.

The well organized professional tour is designed not for you experience a new culture, as much as it is to separate you from your money. I can remember on the earlier mentioned bus tour; as we pulled into town the tour guide told us we could eat in restaurant A, Restaurant B, or Restaurant C. I sat there wondering, "What's wrong with the other dozen restaurants I see." The answer is of course that they didn't give him a 5% kickback on the business sent their way.

With the abundance of travel information on the web, putting together an itinerary on your own is fairly easy. Beside the number general travel sites there are plenty of blogs and user opinion sites. In addition, most places in major cities have their own websites, These sites not only give you the ins and outs of seeing the venue in question, but in many cases you can reserve entry on line, I've only traveled to Paris independently. I've always managed to see everything I wanted, and some things I never planned on.

That being said, if you find a tour that fits you; a tour that goes to what you wish to see in a time frame that suits you, who am I tell you not to?

Now, it sounds like Brenda is speaking about a personal guide. If you can swing that, and still don't feel confident enough to go at it on your own, hell, why not! I've never gone that route, personally, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Also, David is right when he points out that 3 or 4 days really isn't that long. In that time you won't see everything the city has to offer. Then again, there are plenty of places you could spend a lifetime in and never see everything. What ever choice you make you'll need to prioritize what you want to see. My recommendation is to travel with the attitude of, "I will return here one day."

What ever way you choose to go, I recommend you take some time to stroll through any of the Paris' residential neighborhoods. Go into the shops. Assemble a picnic lunch (or dinner) and find a nice spot in one of the cities many parks. You'll really get a feel for the city you won't get any other way.

• Brenda B.

Brenda B.

Love your approach to travel and agree completely . I love to walk a city the first day, talk to as many people as possible and get a feel for what my "must sees" are going to be. Don't cram in all the tourist attractions in one trip. It's time consuming and not fun. Way more fun to be open and stumble into memories and long term friendships....happens every time. · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sean a Thank You Note