Paris with kids

I’ve talked my wife into an impromptu trip to Paris with our three little girls—all under seven years old. Our deal is that I have to make all the arrangements, so I’m scrambling for hotels, activities, food, everything--any suggestions?

• Andrew W.

Andrew W.

How old is the youngest daughter? Will you need a crib? · (2 likelikes)

• Courtney Robinson

How fun!!! You’re going to have such a great time!!! I would definitely recommend Résidence et SPA Le Prince Régent in the Latin Quarter . It’s where my family and I always stay when we’re in town—like you, we have a big family and it’s very VERY hard to find a place that will accommodate us. The Regent is like a little apartment—you’ll have your own kitchen (great for saving money!!!), and there’s a great supermarket right down the street.

For food—I would say to check out a store called Picard Surgelés . It’s literally only frozen food but believe it or not, their stuff is fabulous and we’re serious foodies. Whenever we’re in town we stock up on food from Picard the first day we’re there. The other thing you’ll want to do is check out the food stores on Boulevard St Germain (you’ll want to head east on that street) and pick up cheese, ham, etc. to have in the house. There’s a cheese store on that block that makes the most incredible pistachio cheese you’ve ever had in your life. A lot of those places also carry their own brands of pesto sauces, and things like that. These particular food stores (along with a few on Rue Mouffetard ) are among the best in the city.

The activities for kids are endless, so don’t worry about that. I’d start with renting a toy boat in the Jardin du Luxembourg . For just a few euro you can rent a toy boat and sail it around the pond in the gardens. It’s something all Parisian kids do at one point or another in their lives and it’ll be nice for your kids to be able to say they’ve done it, too. Make sure your littlest ones head for the part of the park that’s reserved for children under five. There’s nothing to it, really—it’s just a special plot of land that only they are allowed to explore but it always made my children feel special.

Whatever you do, do not miss the Muséum national d'histoire naturelle . The building was re-done a few years ago and the animal displays there are just amazing, plus there’s enough there to keep you interested as well. While you’re there, check out the Jardin des Plantes in the same complex—it’s a gorgeous garden and also has a zoo they’ll love, although you do pay a separate fee for that. There's also a stunning carousel there called the Dodo Manège there that is a lot of fun. Really interesting animals like apes and ostriches and the like. There's a place called 104 - Le Centquatre that also has a fabulous carousel and some great exhibits for kids.

I'm not sure when you'll be there but if you're there in the summer, try the Paris plage Bassin de la Villette . To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of this event because I think it kind of gives the banks of the Seine a water park sort of feel but I'm in the minority. Essentially they bring in everything from sand to deck chairs to public pools to make the Seine feel like it's an ocean and not a river. If you're there in the summer you should check it out as there are some concerts and things that are kind of cool but take note--it's a lot of kids and families so if that's not your thing this is not for you.

If they're good, you might want to take them to the famous candy store, La Mere de la Famille - Although they have boutiques and kiosks all over the city, don't miss seeing their storefront at this location. Whether you have a sweet tooth or not this is one of THE classic buildings in Paris and something everyone should see.

The Passage Jouffroy is another great thing to take them to--there's a great toy called La Boîte à Joujoux a store that kind of specializes in Tintin stuff if they're into that--as well as a store that sells miniatures for dollhouses that I could spend hours in. It's called Pain D'epices and it's a bit legendary.

There's also a great store in the Palais Royal called Boutique du Palais Royal that sells exclusively music boxes. There's another store in the area called Les Drapeaux de France that sells antique toy soldiers but if I'm remembering correctly, they also have some more girl-oriented figurines, too.

1. Résidence et SPA Le Prince Régent (hotel)
    2. Latin Quarter (attraction)
    3. Picard Surgelés (attraction)
    4. Picard Surgelés (attraction)
    5. Boulevard St Germain (attraction)
    6. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)
    7. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)
    8. Luxembourg Garden (attraction)
    9. Luxembourg Garden (attraction)
    10. Muséum national d'histoire naturelle (attraction)
    11. Muséum national d'histoire naturelle (attraction)
    12. Jardin des Plantes (attraction)
    13. Jardin des Plantes (attraction)
    14. Dodo Manège (attraction)
    15. 104 - Le Centquatre (attraction)
    16. Paris plage Bassin de la Villette (attraction)
    17. La Mere de la Famille (restaurant)
    18. Passage Jouffroy (attraction)
    19. La Boîte à Joujoux (restaurant)
    20. Pain D'epices (restaurant)
    21. Boutique du Palais Royal (attraction)
    22. Les Drapeaux de France (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note