• Tyka Edwards
  • "Hotels in Paris under $150 a night, friendly to non-French speaking people"

Tyka Edwards

Hampton, New Hampshire

Hotels in Paris under $150 a night, friendly to non-French speaking people

My mom and I speak no French and we've heard Parisians are less than thrilled to deal with that. What would be a good affordable hotel that is accomodating to non-French speakers?

• Steven McDowall

As some have commented, the old stereotype about Parisians not liking people who don't speak French is an old wives tale, if it was ever true. Sure knowing a few words of French (say, 5 total) will grease the wheels greatly (Oui, Pardon, Merci, Merci Beaucoup, Sil-vous-plait). These are probably words you do know anyway .. I go to Paris quite often, and the people have always always been very very friendly and nice. I think the only time you may see any "rudeness" (I think of it as more efficiency/abruptness) is when you go to a Bisto, etc. and don't understand the logistic of how they run those (unlike how they do in US/UK). I would highly recommend reading this guide by Wendy Lyn of The Paris Kitchen (www.thepariskitchen.com) - http://www.thepariskitchen.com/paris-restaurant-reviews/paris-restaurant-faq/. Actually, read all her stuff -- she really knows her way around that town.

As for a cheap hotel, I actually now just use AIRBNB.COM to rent a place -- it's generally much cheaper than hotels, and for the same price (sometimes) you can get your own private apartment, etc! As for an area, I am especially fond of Montmartre ! It's like it's own city within a city!

Have a great time and don't fret it -- he happy and polite and the world will be polite back! (Well, mostly! LOL).

• ·
    • ·

Send Steven a Thank You Note