• Theresa Christine
  • "Honeymoon through Paris, Strasbourg, & Munich -- Suggestions?"

Theresa Christine

Hollywood, California

Honeymoon through Paris, Strasbourg, & Munich -- Suggestions?

Hi everyone, I'm helping to plan my brother's honeymoon, and looking for suggestions on places to go and things to do in Paris, Strasbourg, and Munich. I've been to Paris and Germany, but would definitely appreciate some input! They will be spending 5 days in Paris, 2 in Strasbourg, and 5 in Munich, and they have a mid-range budget.

In Paris, they will rely on public transit to get around. They have a Paris Pass and will use that for a lot of museums and such. What unique things could they do that are a little off the beaten path?

In Strasbourg, they are wanting to enjoy wineries. Should they rent a car for this, use the train, or do a tour of some kind?

In (and around) Munich they will be using a car. They'd like to get to Neuschwanstein Castle, and maybe a hot spring. Any ideas, or other unique things they could do?

• Katie Hale

Hi Theresa,

I've only ever spent a few hours in Strasbourg and Munich, so not much help there I'm afraid.

But Paris is such a romantic place for a honeymoon! Of course they are the obvious 'must-do' items like the Eiffel Tower and a boat cruise along the La Seine - both of which are thoroughly worth doing, even if they do cost money.

And as they're on their honeymoon, they could always head to Pont des Arts bridge and leave a love lock on the railings.

Pont des ArtsIf they're there for 5 days, it might be nice to get out of the city for a day and visit Palace of Versailles. Fascinating history, and beautiful location.

Though if they're on a budget, there are some great free options in Paris as well. My favourites are the free views across the city: one from Basilique du Sacre-Coeur at the top of Montmatre, and the other from the roof of Galeries Lafayette, where there are chairs, and a roof garden, and stunning views.

Actually, Montmartre in general is worth exploring: the stalls, the painters, the little cafes - and a wander past the Moulin Rouge.

Basilique du Sacre-CoeurThat's my other favourite thing about Paris - the churches are all free. Unlike London, where you have to pay to look round St Paul's and Westminster Abbey, Paris doesn't charge. This means there are often long queues to get in, but they tend to move pretty quickly. My favourites are Basilique du Sacre-Coeur, Notre-Dame de Paris, and L'église de la Madeleine (which sometimes has free classical music / choral concerts - worth checking the posters outside). Basilique du Sacre-CoeurAnother couple of good places to explore are Opera Garnier, which is gorgeously ornate (and where the Phantom of the Opera is set!), and Sainte-Chapelle, which is a stunningly preserved medieval chapel right in the heart of Paris. Neither of them get nearly the hype and the mentions that they deserve.

The Latin Quarter is also hugely worth exploring, with a little visit to the legendary Shakespeare and Company bookshop.

In terms of getting around, the best way to do it would be to buy 'carnets': packs of 10 metro tickets. Each one is valid for a single journey (including the Montmartre funicular railway, if they don't want to climb all the steps). It's cheaper than buying each ticket individually, and you can share the packs between people (so each of them could have 5 tickets).

Hope that's helpful!

K :-)

2. Eiffel Tower (attraction)
    3. La Seine (attraction)
    4. Pont des Arts (attraction)
    5. Palace of Versailles (attraction)
    6. Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (attraction)
    7. Galeries Lafayette (attraction)
    8. Moulin Rouge (attraction)
    9. Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (attraction)
    10. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)
    11. L'église de la Madeleine (attraction)
    12. Opera Garnier (attraction)
    13. Sainte-Chapelle (attraction)
    14. Shakespeare and Company (attraction)
    15. Montmartre funicular (unknown)

• ·
    • ·

Send Katie a Thank You Note