• Sunil Gupta
  • "Best views of Paris for dates?"

Sunil Gupta

Mountain View, California

Best views of Paris for dates?

My fiancee and I are taking a little trip to Paris in June and I'd like some ideas of places where the views will really wow her. It would be nice to even find a place where we could bring a bottle of wine and have a picnic while looking over the city.  It'll be both of our first time there, so we know nothing about the layout of the city and could use some pointers! 

• Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (attraction)

35 Rue du Chevalier de La Barre Paris 75018 +33 1 53 41 89 00

• Eiffel Tower (attraction)

Parc du Champ de Mars Paris Île-de-France 75007 +33 892 70 12 39

• Montmartre (attraction)

Montmartre Paris Île-de-France 75018

• Courtney Robinson

Oooh, so many good ones!!! Just a warning that the laws regarding the public consumption of alcohol vary a lot depending on where you are in the city but generally speaking, if you don't get wildly drunk and start acting nuts, it's fine. Even if it is prohibited, it's been my experience that at worst you'll be asked to stop (although I've never had that happen). That out of the way, here are a few of my favorites!

The Pont des Arts always has tons of people on it having picnics and it's a lot of fun. It's also the bridge where people leave padlocks to "lock up their love" so it can get crowded. I've seen some cool street performers there, too which can really add to the atmosphere!

Jules Verne

Tour Montparnasse - – the running joke about the Montparnasse Tower is that it’s the best way to get a great view of the city because at least you don’t have to look at it. It’s definitely one of the ugliest buildings ever constructed in this or any other city but it is a great place to get a 360° view. While you can't have a picnic here, their restaurant, Ciel de Paris is very romantic and a great place for a date.

Tour Montparnasse

Eiffel Tower - this is one of the few tourist attractions I honestly love so I can’t not tell you to go there even if it's an obvious choice. The view is sensational, although personally, I always find that it’s so high up that it’s actually hard to see what’s going on down below. The shame of it is that you find yourself looking for the Eiffel Tower when you’re up there, or at least I do, and it always seems weird to me that it’s no where to be found. Also, it can be very windy and very crowded up there and the lines can be incredibly long. All that said, the views really are pretty incredible. As far as the picnicing and wine go, you have two options--you can set up a picnic at the base of the Tower which a lot of people do--there's plenty of grass and even benches if you prefer those. That said, that part of Paris doesn't officially allow you to drink alcohol outside a restaurant or bar (it's a bit of a nightmare trying to sort out which parts of Paris allow this and which don't) but they generally look the other way or just ask you to get rid of it. If you want to splurge a bit, have a drink at one of the tower restaurants like the Jules Verne or the Champagne Bar which is at the top (but waaaay cheaper). Just make sure you make reservations for JV!!!

Eiffel Towerimage from neatorama.com

Jules Verne:
    Jules Verneimage from dininginfrance.com

Champagne Bar:

Place du TrocadéroBasilique du Sacre-Coeur – in the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that I am not a fan of the Montmartre area. If find it incredibly dirty and almost overly Bohemian if that makes sense. While this is not my personal favorite way to get a view of the city, there’s no question that it’s still a great view so I have to put it on the list. It's also probably the best place to have a picnic, although keep in mind a lot of people do this here so it can get crowded. At least the view from here is free so even if you hate it it’s not like you had to pay for it.

Basilique du Sacre-Coeur

Montmartre:

MontmartreIf you're in the mood to see a little green, the scenery at the Parc des Buttes Chaumont nearby is extraordinary and a great place for people watching real live Parisians relatively undiluted by tourists. It's an absolutely perfect place for a romantic picnic and a great way to get away from it all while still somehow being in the center of it all if that makes sense.

Parc des Buttes Chaumontimage from gardenvisit.comMusée d'Orsay – I’ve never understood why the view from the terrace at the Musee d’Orsay is still something of a view secret. It looks out over the Seine and a plum area of the right bank. Personally I like it even better than the views from tall buildings because the lack of height makes it a lot easier to see what’s really going on. Obviously, as a museum, they're not going to let you set up a picnic, but you could have a drink or two beforehand in one of the museum's restaurants, both of which are phenomenal.

Musée d'OrsayFrom the bridges – some of my favorite views in the city can be found on the bridges that dot the Seine. The Pont Louis Philippe is one of my favorites...

Pont Louis Philippe...as is the Pont de l'Archevêché .

Pont de l'Archevêchéimage from flickr.comThere is a GREAT view from the Square du Vert Galant which is this funny little park at the...

Square du Vert Galant...tip of the Île de la Cité .

Île de la CitéThe view of the Seine from here is so beautiful it always makes me a little teary. This is a great place for a picnic and a pretty easy place to get away with having a little wine outdoors.

The department stores Galeries Lafayette and...

Galeries LafayettePrintemps both have excellent views if you happen to be there, although neither is particularly high up (not many places in Paris are).

PrintempsIf you want a really good view of the Eiffel Tower your best bet is the Place du Trocadéro ...

Place du Trocadéroor Palais de Chaillot right across the way. You’ll get a full view of the fountains and the grounds. There are a few restaurants there but they’re all wildly overpriced so I would either plan not to eat there or to just get a drink.

Place du TrocadéroFinally, I would try the Panthéon in the Latin Quarter .

Place du Trocadéro

Latin Quarter:

Place du Trocadéro

As a tourist attraction I think it’s actually a bit of a snoozer (although Foucault's Pendulum and the tombs downstairs are kind of cool), but the view from the top is nice. The only thing that’s a bit of a pain is that you not only have to climb up but you have to wait for the guide to climb with you both up and down.

Place du Trocadéro

• Sunil G.

Sunil G.

Thank you for the suggestions Courtney. My fiancee is going to be blown away. · (0 likelikes)

1. Pont des Arts (attraction)
    2. Tour Montparnasse (attraction)
    3. Ciel de Paris (restaurant)
    4. Eiffel Tower (attraction)
    5. Jules Verne (restaurant)
    6. Champagne Bar (attraction)
    7. Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (attraction)
    8. Montmartre (attraction)
    9. Parc des Buttes Chaumont (attraction)
    10. Musée d'Orsay (attraction)
    11. Pont Louis Philippe (attraction)
    12. Pont de l'Archevêché (attraction)
    13. Square du Vert Galant (attraction)
    14. Île de la Cité (unknown)
    15. Galeries Lafayette (attraction)
    16. Printemps (attraction)
    17. Place du Trocadéro (attraction)
    18. Palais de Chaillot (attraction)
    19. Panthéon (attraction)
    20. Latin Quarter (attraction)
    21. Foucault's Pendulum (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note