• Lev Láng
  • "Weirdest things to do and see in Central America?"

Lev Láng

Gyöngyös

Weirdest things to do and see in Central America?

I am travelling through Central America as of November. I don't like mainstream travelling, visiting the usual tourist attractions, taking hideous pictures of myself in front of boring monuments then uploading them to instagram with a ridiculous filter... I want truly amazing adventures, once in a lifetime experiences. See things that are not in tourist books, eat the weirdest local foods, stay at a tree house instead of a 5* hotel, etc...

So what are the craziest things you can do or see in Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Mexico? Anything that is out of the box is appreciated.

• Rocio Acevedo

Hello Levente. In the spirit of helping you out with your question I will provide a few amazing places that I have had the pleasure to visit and I am sure you will find the type of adventure that you are looking for.

Guatemala: Lago de Atitlan, an aquamarine lake and villages that tumble down from green hills to its shore. Fishermen in rustic craft ply the lake's surface while indigenous women in multi/colored outfits do their washing by the banks, fertile mountains, volcanoes, are the ingredients for getting adventures. Semuc Champey is also a beauty. A multi level pool sits on the top of a natural bridge in the middle of the jungle. Stunning!

Ruta de las Flores and the glorious Cordillera de Apaneca land of coffee plantations and indigenous artisans are practically hidden gems of El Salvador.

Islas de la Bahia in Honduras are a beauty! Perched of the Mesoamerican reef (the second largest barrier reef in the world) will add value to the trip. Find some adventure in Utila or the mainstream of Roatan. You wont regret it!

Isla De Ometepe (twin volcanic peaks) that are rising up out of Lago de Nicaragua will surprise you with so much adventure. Volcanic soils, clean waters, wildlife, and archaeological sites, are amazing ingredients to consider these places as natural wonders of the world.

My FAV places in my beautiful Costa Rica are Monteverde Cloud Forest, Volcán Arenal and Osa Peninsula, Drake Bay, where the Corcovado National Park is located, Pacuare River, Punta Uvita and Playa Santa Teresa. Choose among the beauty of a cloudy forest, (where you can find the most beautiful and famous bird / the Quetzal), the smoking peak of the Arenal volcano (surrounded by hills, mini villages and a lake), a crystal clear water beach or an unique bay on the coast of southwestern Costa Rica.

Panama City (Panama) is very famous for the canal, the cosmopolitan capital, but try this time Bocas del Toro, Boquete and El Valle De Anton . 3 different alternatives of unusual tourism.

I went to Mexico City once therefore the only place that I can recommend besides the beautiful capital is Pyramid of the Sun and the amazing Teotihuacan hot-air balloon tour. However, I am sure there has to be hundred of adventurous places to visit.

Hope this helps! Enjoy the ride!

1. Guatemala (country)
    2. Lago de Atitlan (attraction)
    3. Semuc Champey (attraction)
    4. Ruta de las Flores (unknown)
    5. Cordillera de Apaneca (attraction)
    6. El Salvador (country)
    7. Islas de la Bahia (island)
    8. Honduras (country)
    9. Utila (attraction)
    10. Roatan (island)
    11. Isla De Ometepe (attraction)
    12. Lago de Nicaragua (attraction)
    13. Costa Rica (country)
    14. Monteverde Cloud Forest (attraction)
    15. Volcán Arenal (unknown)
    16. Osa Peninsula (region)
    17. Drake Bay (city)
    18. Corcovado National Park (attraction)
    19. Pacuare River (attraction)
    20. Punta Uvita (attraction)
    21. Playa Santa Teresa (attraction)
    22. Panama City (Panama) (city)
    23. Bocas del Toro (state)
    24. Boquete (city)
    25. El Valle De Anton (city)
    26. Mexico City (city)
    27. Pyramid of the Sun (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Rocio a Thank You Note