• Nalin Mello
  • "Suggestions for things to do for a first-timer"

Nalin Mello

Cypress, California

Suggestions for things to do for a first-timer

I'm heading to O'ahu for a quick get-away with my wife. This will be our first trip to Hawaii, and we'll be staying in Honolulu for 4 days. Any recommendations on things to do such as hiking, sightseeing, island-hopping, biking, kayaking, etc. would be greatly appreciated. We'll be renting a car as well.

• Bo N.

Bo N.

Although not mine, it is my favorite reference for first or second timers. The drive between choices provide endless memories. Enjoy. http://www.moneycrashers.com/things-to-do-oahu-hawaii-activities-accommodation/ · (1 likelikes)

• Janice Sakata-Schultze

Hi Nalin - One thing that is a "must-do" in O'ahu is Pearl Harbor . Get there as early as you can, because the crowds get massive, and the tickets run out quickly. Another great place to go is Diamond Head crater for hiking. Once you get to to the top, you'll have one of the best views of Honolulu. Do you like to snorkel? Go to Hanauma Bay, but get there early too to avoid as much of the tourist throng as possible.

Personally, I like going to the North Shore and to Haleiwa, where it's not as crowded as it is in Honolulu. There you can watch surfing, sometimes with those legendary huge waves you often see on TV. Something else on the North Shore that's very popular (but I think is a bit overpriced) is the Polynesian Cultural Center. I haven't been there in years, and I can't attest to its current worthiness to visit.

I think there are opportunities to kayak and paddleboard near Kaneohe, on the windward (east) side of the island, so you might want to check that out. I also like visiting the Byodo-In Temple nearby. It a Buddhist temple replicated to look like one in Japan, and it's located in this beautiful lush valley. Wherever you go in O'ahu, I'm sure you and your wife will have a wonderful time!

• Nalin M.

Nalin M.

Thanks Janice. Pearl Harbor is a great call. I will definitely check out the other places. · (2 likelikes)

• Virginia T.

Virginia T.

After you are finish with the tourist attractions make a drive to the North Shore and spend time there. It is low-key and less crowded!! Also Fumi's shrimp truck over there is a must. · (2 likelikes)

• Linda R.

Linda R.

Update on the Polynesian Cultural Center: think Epcot on a much smaller scale. You will spend a day there so plan your trip well. Every day is precious in Hawaii with so much to see. We visited the Center on our second trip. It was entertaining but I am glad I saw everything else first so that I didn't feel like I was missing out on seeing the island Byodo-In Temple is beautiful. Background of mountains will brreath · (0 likelikes)

1. O'ahu (island)
    2. Pearl Harbor Historic Sites (attraction)
    3. Diamond Head Crater Hike (attraction)
    4. Hanauma Bay (attraction)
    5. North Shore (region)
    6. Haleiwa (city)
    7. Polynesian Cultural Center (attraction)
    8. Kaneohe (city)
    9. Byodo-In Temple (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Janice a Thank You Note