• Peter Kim
  • "Balancing relaxation and adventure in Oahu"

Peter Kim

Los Angeles, California

Balancing relaxation and adventure in Oahu

The thing about me when I travel is I like to do as many things as humanly possible and that usually involves very little sleep/rest. When I get back from vacation, I'm usually 10 times more tired than when I left. 

A few details:

1. Spending 1 week there and I've never been to Oahu.
  2. Staying in Waikiki.
  3. It's a family trip, would love to know what 2 senior citizens might be able to do.
  4. I don't like helicopter rides!
  5. I run marathons and play pickup basketball, would like to know where to get a run in or a game of pickup hoops (indoor or outdoor).

Questions:

What are a few sights that I would regret not seeing and where are the best beaches to just relax on?

• TJ Trapp

Oahu is a great island to drive around. Rent a car in Waikiki and drive around the entire island counter clockwise. It's a half day excursion. =)

If you go to Hanauma Bay , be sure to get there early. The snorkeling is good until it gets crowded.

On the north shore, you must get food from Giovanni's Shrimp Truck [link] It's amazing. I had the Hot & Spicy Shrimp. It was hot and spicy. Tag the truck when you're done eating!

In Waikiki, go to the Side Street Inn . It's great Hawaiian comfort food served family style. Bring your appetite. The salads are amazing, the pork chops are good, ribs are good, the poke is great. The fried pound cake is a nice dessert. There are two locations, go to the one on Hopaka for the authentic experience.

• Peter K.

Peter K.

These food suggestions are awesome, thanks TJ! · (0 likelikes)

1. Hanauma Bay (attraction)
    2. Giovanni's Shrimp Truck (restaurant)
    3. Side Street Inn (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send TJ a Thank You Note