• Elizabeth Werhane
  • "What do I need to see on my first trip to Norway?"

What do I need to see on my first trip to Norway?

I expect to spend about a week in Norway in May or June. I've never been. What should I see? I'll be traveling with one other adult. We're active and like seeing nature, but in more of a day-trip way than a "let's backpack the PCT!" way.

How should we plan on traveling in country and what can't we miss?

• Adrien Burgat

Great choice!! I went to Trondheim as an exchange student. It was a great year! Especially for someone who likes seeing nature! You can't miss the great fjords of the West part of the country. It's my only regret I've never been to Sognefjord and Geirangerfjord. But I know Bergen and Stavanger, that are for sure beautiful cities, but I guess you don't need to spend more than 3 days down there. Trondheim of course is a city I love, you should definitely go there, even more if you plan going there in May! The 17th May is the national day and the whole city celebrate its constitution, the streets are literally full of colored people and the pubs crowded and lively! But I have just one word for your trip : Lofoten. It's my best experience ever! I've been there both in winter and summer. It's just the most amazing place I've ever seen! I guess it's more welcoming in June, when the sun never comes down and the villages not empty. But please don't miss the Lofoten Islands! (just look at pictures and you'll see I'm not kidding) ;)

To sum up, if I was you, I'd chose between 2 possibilities :

• you can rent a car from south and drive the whole way up to Lofoten, first Stavanger the Bergen through the western fjords (if you have enough time but it's a long way, otherwise the inland is quite nice as well), Trondheim and then the beautiful desert while crossing the arctic circle ;

• you can chose the Hurtigruten Cruise as well, from Bergen to Lofoten. You'll stop in a lot of nice cities and sail inside the fjords. It's not like a cruise, it's a lot more exciting and dynamic, but it's true you're less free than the first choice.

I hope it's helpful and not too vague. Actually the first choice will be mine, even if I already did that, cause it's been a trip full of unexpected experiences : fire places along the road, fishing attempts, parties with fishermen… If you have any question I'll gladly help you! :)

1. Trondheim (attraction)
    2. Sognefjord (region)
    3. Geirangerfjord (attraction)
    4. Bergen (city)
    5. Stavanger (attraction)
    6. Lofoten (attraction)
    7. Lofoten Islands (attraction)
    8. Hurtigruten Cruise (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Adrien a Thank You Note