• Kirsty Marr
  • "Week in the French Riviera. Top what to do in Nice, Marseille, etc."

Kirsty Marr

Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Week in the French Riviera. Top what to do in Nice, Marseille, etc.

Spending a week in the French Riviera area with my boyfriend, planning to stay in Nice and Marseille areas, perhaps visit Monaco and Antibes. Any suggestions? Top picks for a short amount of time? Beaches, food, drinks, and entertainment suggestions welcome. More in the cheap to moderate range rather than expensive. 

• Nice (city)

Nice Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Monaco (country)

• Marseille (city)

Marseille Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur

• Jasper van der Meer

Hi Kirsty! Good choice, French Riviera or Côte d’Azur as the French say it is a beautiful place, with a lot of sunshine and a lot of beautiful people, sightings and things to see.

You can really make it as expensive or cheap as you want, really. I suggest you start out in Nice, as I assume you are landing there from the UK, but that can be in Marseille as well of course. Either way, I'm not very well known in Marseille, so I can't really help you there, but I do know a thing or two in the Nice to Monaco area, all the way to Menton .

Sleep

You need a place to sleep. Depending on how easy going and forgiving you are, you could choose a hostel. They're cheap, but they're just that: A hostel. Don't expect anything special, really. If you decide to go that way, I can recommend Ho(s)tel Paradis Paradis Hotel on 1 Rue Paradis, it's located right in between the Armani and Louis Viutton store, and it's cheap as heck :) We really had pleasant stays there, and the rooms are quite comfy even for such an old building. They got private rooms so you don't have to sleep in a bunk bed like in some other hostels :)

Nice old town ( Centre Vieux)

Really, this place is an attraction in itself. So much traditional French vibes going on there with ancient buildings, beautiful churches and cathedrals if you're into that, a lot of different influences, smells, faces, nationalities all packed together in really atmospheric, but sometimes at night a bit creepy small old streets, I love it. Do check out Maison De La Pizza located on 12 Rue Mascoinat and have a drink at bar De Klomp , both served us great. Also check out the ice cream vendor on the square with the church right in that old town, they've got like 100 different ice flavours :)

Watch out for the restaurants on the fish market, they do offer cheap or relatively affordable food but have the balls to charge up to €8 for a simple Coke!

Monaco

Take the bus (line 100) from just around the corner at Nice Garibaldi to Monaco for just €1,50 (you can pay cash in the bus) and enjoy this great busride right over the coastline. There's one stop before the bus heads into a tunnel and it always stops there. Sit tight, the stop after that is right in the harbour of Monaco, and it's gorgeous. Get out at the Casino and feast your eyes on the casino building, surrounded by amazing and crazy expensive cars and overly posh people. it's an amazing 'point-and-oooh' location, so to speak :)

From the casino you can walk down to the harbour again and have a drink over at Zest . They're not really expensive and offer a great view over the harbour of Monaco. This is of course especially beautiful with great weather!

Be sure to walk over the Avenue Princesse Grace , right past the Monte Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort and the Monaco Beach if you want to see a beautiful, albeit small beach.

All beaches are pebble beaches in that region, except for this fake beach in Monaco right next to the resort and Jimmy’z .

This bus transportation system takes you everywhere in the region for dirt cheap, and the train system runs nearly flawless as well. We found that even the trainstation of Monaco is beautiful. Marble everywhere, it's crazy.

So have a pizza, visit the old town, go on a bus and have a few drinks at de Klomp or any bar you prefer, there really are plenty. Do watch out: after 10pm CET prices usually go up.

Enjoy! :)

• Kirsty M.

Kirsty M.

Thanks a bunch! Super detailed and very helpful :) · (1 likelikes)

• Jasper v.

Jasper v.

you're welcome! :) Enjoy! · (0 likelikes)

1. French Riviera (region)
    2. Côte d’Azur (region)
    3. Marseille (city)
    4. Nice (city)
    5. Monaco (country)
    6. Menton (city)
    7. Paradis Hotel (hotel)
    8. Maison De La Pizza (restaurant)
    9. De Klomp (attraction)
    10. Zest (restaurant)
    11. Avenue Princesse Grace (attraction)
    12. Monte Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort (hotel)
    13. Monaco Beach (attraction)
    14. Jimmy’z (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jasper a Thank You Note