• Matthias Hansen
  • "21 days of November in a camper in New Zealand - where to go?"

Matthias Hansen

Copenhagen, Denmark

21 days of November in a camper in New Zealand - where to go?

Hi Trippy'ans

My girlfriend and I are going to NZ for 3-4 weeks in November and would love some advice.

We will rent a camper and drive both the North and South Island, but besides that we are very open to suggestions.

We love nature, great food, hiking, diving, mountainbiking, but are not really interested in extreme sports.

Thanks a ton, Matthias

• Nicole Bass

New Zealand is a beautiful place and there is so much to see and do. Definitely spend 4 weeks there if you are planning on doing both islands. The South Island definitely has a great range of landscape as well - lakes, mountains, plains, glaciers etc.

Being from Christchurch, I have spent a lot more time in the South Island. My recommendations would be to take your camper from Wellington to Picton (New Zealand) over the Cook Strait by ferry.

From there you could look at going to Nelson and through Motueka to Abel Tasman National Park. There is some beautiful hiking here, but you would need about 4 days to do the full walk. Up around Golden Bay is also beautiful.

If time is too tight, head from Wellington through Blenheim to Kaikoura. Spend a night here - it's a small town, but has some good food spots and you can also go dolphin and whale watching.

From here, drive down to my home town, Christchurch. For all my personal tips, especially food, check out my blog post: http://www.alifelessbeige.com/article/what-to-do-in-christchurch-a-locals-guide/

Spend a night here and perhaps consider a night away to Hanmer Springs (one of my favourite spots) and a night, or day trip to Akaroa. Both are just over an hours drive from Christchurch.

From Christchurch drive down the East Coast to Queenstown (a 6 hour drive). Wanaka is also worth spending some time in - lots of mountain biking and outdoors options.

Then head up the West Coast to Franz Josef for a walk on the glacier. There are great hot pools in the town to soak in afterwards as well. Spend a night, then check out other towns on the West Cost and the Punakaiki. You could then continue from here to finish in Nelson?

So many recommendations. When you have more of an idea, I could help with more. New Zealand has so many options when it comes to the outdoors. Hope this helps as a starting point.

Nicole

Amazing recommendations, Nicole! · (0 likelikes)

• Noah V.

Noah V.

+1 to Wanaka - I could spend a couple of weeks there easy. We also loved Abel Tasman - if we had more time we would have loved to hike the whole park, but the day we spent on the Aqua Taxi up to Anchorage and the hike back (with a stop at Cleopatra's Pool) was amazing! · (0 likelikes)

• Pip S.

Pip S.

I agree, great suggestions, would only add that Dunedin and the Catlins area south of Dunedin are also worth a visit. · (0 likelikes)

• Matthias H.

Matthias H.

How about Doubtful Sound? Is that a must - that's what I've heard from a few friends · (0 likelikes)

1. Wellington (city)
    2. Picton (city)
    3. Cook Strait (attraction)
    4. Nelson (city)
    5. Motueka (city)
    6. Abel Tasman National Park (park)
    7. Golden Bay (city)
    8. Blenheim (city)
    9. Kaikoura (city)
    10. Christchurch (city)
    11. Hanmer Springs (city)
    12. Akaroa (attraction)
    13. Queenstown (city)
    14. Wanaka (city)
    15. Franz Josef (city)
    16. Punakaiki (city)
    17. Nelson (city)

• ·
    • ·

Send Nicole a Thank You Note