Kaitlyn Noble

Danville, California

2 weeks in New Zealand

I'm planning a trip to New Zealand with my Boyfriend. We are interested in driving from the north island to the south island for 10 -14 days, and then ending the trip with 3-4 days in Fiji. We'd prefer to choose a few really great spots and spend more time in each location, rather than hopping to a new location every day.

Any advice on must see locations, suggested itineraries, hotels, restaurants, etc. would be greatly appreciated! 

Interests: hiking, sailing, rafting, kayaking, hot air ballooning anything adventurous and active! We also love relaxing on the beach, wine tasting, great restaurants, anything romantic. (We're looking for a balanced mix of relaxation and adventure).

Budget: not restrictive

Timing: looking to leave from SFO around Christmas and stay for 2-3 weeks

Companion: two of us total!

• Anna-Fee Schuller

Hi Kaitlyn,

I travelled New Zealand for two months last spring and my 4 weeks on the North Island were just as amazing as the 4 weeks on the South Island. So here are my personal highlights:

1. Tongariro National Park

The park is located in the centre of the North Island and is a volcanic area with three active volcanoes. The so-called Tongariro Crossing is THE thing to do and was the best hike of my whole trip (and I hiked a lot). It takes 6-9 hours in which you see the hostile and incredibly amazing landscapes of the area. One of the volcanoes (you can even climb up to if you're fit enough) is "Mt Doom" from Lord of the Rings!Tongariro National Parkimage from motorhomehire.co.nz

2. Northland

If you wanna see some nice beaches go north of Auckland. The beaches in the Northland are beautiful and most of the time completely deserted. The best way to see the area is by car (if you have a camper you'll find plenty of campsites) because that way you can stop whenever a beach seems particularly beautiful. Two beaches I'd recommend are Goat's Island and Whale Bay.

One of the most magical places I've ever been to is Cape Reinga at the most northern tip of NZ. Go there at sunset!! It's breathtaking and that way you'll avoid being there with hundreds of tourists who go there with a booked tour during the day. You'll find a campsite just 30 min away at Tapotupotu Bay(at the beach!), just follow Tapotupotu Road until the end.

I also liked the Waipoua Kauri Forest, where you can see the tallest and oldest Kauri trees in the world. Cape Reinga

3. Coromandel Peninsula

If you don't have enough time to see the Northland you should think about going to the Coromandel Peninsula which is just a 2 hour drive from Auckland. It's a very idyllic and quiet piece of land with amazing beaches and stunning nature. It's fun to dig your own pool at the Hot Water Beach and make sure you see the Cathedral Cove which is a fantastic bay with a cool rock formation. Cathedral Cove

4. South Island

I still can't decide what the highlights of the South Island are because wherever you go it's just beautiful. I particularly liked Abel Tasman National Park where I booked a fantastic Kayak tour. The area looks like paradise and you can also hike along the coast and see some secret beaches. I also liked the two glaciers (Fox Glacier, Franz Josef Glacier)and if you have enough money I can totally recommend a heli hike on Franz Josef Glacier. I'm not a fan of Queenstown but the Ben Lomond Track is a day walk with the best views ever. The road from the glaciers to Queenstown is amazing by the way!Abel Tasman National Park

Enjoy your trip!!

• Kaitlyn N.

Kaitlyn N.

Wow, this is incredible! Thank you for taking the time :) · (0 likelikes)

• Anna-Fee S.

Anna-Fee S.

Thank you, I couldn't help it I just love New Zealand. :-) · (0 likelikes)

• Deborah G.

Deborah G.

Thank You. Helped out on some tours I want to take. Pictures are beautiful. · (0 likelikes)

1. Tongariro National Park (attraction)
    2. Tongariro Crossing (attraction)
    3. Cape Reinga (attraction)
    4. Tapotupotu Bay (attraction)
    5. Waipoua Kauri Forest (city)
    6. Coromandel Peninsula (attraction)
    7. Hot Water Beach (attraction)
    8. Cathedral Cove (attraction)
    9. Abel Tasman National Park (park)
    10. Fox Glacier (city)
    11. Franz Josef Glacier (attraction)
    12. Ben Lomond Track (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Anna-Fee a Thank You Note