• Gary Castagnola
  • "What to see and do + restaurant ideas in NYC"

Gary Castagnola

Downey, California

What to see and do + restaurant ideas in NYC

My wife, daughter-in-law, and two granddaughters, ages 7 & 10 will be staying 5 nights in Times Square during mid April.  Plans are confirmed to date  include a birthday party at Serendipity, and a walk across the Brooklyn bridge.  Any recommendations for things of interest to see, places to visit, and eat... appropriate for kids that age?  Not interested in fancy restaurants.  Any areas in Manhattan they should avoid? Daughter-in-law likes to shop at boutique type shops and traditional department stores too. They will be taking cabs and the subway.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Central Park (attraction)

14 E. 60th St New York NY 10023-6004 (212) 310-6600

• SoHo (neighborhood)

New York NY

• FAO Schwarz (attraction)

767 5th Avenue New York NY 10153 (212) 695-9198

• Thom Lehman

Gary,

Let's start with the girls...cause if they ain't happy, you ain't happy.

Before you go to NYC, rent two movies that are kid appropriate: "The Legend of Pale Male" about red tale hawks that nested above Central Park - Conservatory Water; and "In Search of Bobby Fisher", a true story about a boy who learned to play chess in Washington Square Park (This might have some mild bad language).

Central Park - Grab some coffee/hot cocoa and pastries and head to Central Park for a mid-morning snack in the park. Check out the Central Park - Conservatory Water. The very beautiful, romantic Alice in Wonderland sculpture is visible from here. Rent remote control sailboats from the Central Park - The Kerbs Boathousethere. Walk through the boathouse where private and rental model boats are stored. Kids also like to mess around in the water with nets trying to catch gold fish. If there are any Pale Male offspring left (I think there are), you will see people watching them from the west side of the Conservatory Water. Even a couple of years ago I remember seeing the nest as seen in the movie.

Washington Square Park is where the Bobby Fisher movie is centered. Go watch the speed chess players any day when the weather is clear. I also love the dog park here. The street performers in the park are often entertaining, however, the language (and sometimes risqué performances) can be rated PG and R. Head down Thompson Street to the Chess Forum and some of the most cool chess boards and pieces imaginable (I'm not a chess player--I just love this store!).

I highly recommend a trip to the American Girl Place; your girls are the perfect age for this magic spot. We took our daughter to the one in Chicago for her first doll 7 years ago and she still talks about that experience. She loves the one in New York just as much.

Have they read "Cricket in Time Square"? If so you have too visit the Time Square Subway stop.

Ok, now the wife and daughter-in-law...don't shop at any major department stores. Go to any store that suits your fancy in downtown for the New York treatment. Even I like to shop NYC! I especially like the shops in SoHo. Of course Fifth Ave and Madison Ave. are nice to window shop but I can't afford.

Cheap eats are available all over the city. Chinatown New York is synonymous with cheap food and usually tasty to little ones. Pick any spot that looks to your liking. If you are adventurous you can eat cheaply anywhere in NYC. If the girls are picky eaters, I recommend looking up some ideas on Yelp.com before you go. I think food trucks are a great experience for foods that you can't find anywhere else and that are palatable to young children. I recommend a real bagel from any deli. You're there five days--go to a different deli every day. Stay away from any chain restaurants or tourist traps around Time Square. It's New York--live a little.

Because you are there so long, I would recommend taking in Statue of Liberty and Ground Zero.

My young family and I get most of our kicks walking around the city for free and eating just about anything out of the ordinary that catches our interest. (No McDonalds or Pizza Hut on any of those trips). We also gave our kids sketch books on one trip--I carried watercolors, crayons and glue. We collected tickets, flyers, free postcards and receipts to make sketch collages. We sat in parks and interesting public spaces to make our works of art. This accomplished three things...it gave kids time off their feet (very important for happiness), it kept them engaged with sites and sounds out of the ordinary and they had a personal made memory of the experience!

Get a good subway map and use a smart phone to stay out of trouble.

Have a great trip!

Thom

• Gary C.

Gary C.

Thom.... spot on! The girls have just recently learned to play chess. The visit the American Girl Store here in L. .A. (love it), All of your recommendations are perfect. This site and feedback are way beyond anything I expected. I hope to pay this forward someday when somebody asks about So CA, L. A. and Orange County. Thank you, again, Thank you. · (3 likelikes)

Haha, you know girls! :) Great suggestions! · (0 likelikes)

1. Central Park - Conservatory Water (attraction)
    2. Washington Square Park (attraction)
    3. Central Park - Conservatory Water (attraction)
    4. Alice in Wonderland (attraction)
    5. Central Park - The Kerbs Boathouse (restaurant)
    6. Washington Square Park (attraction)
    7. Chess Forum (attraction)
    8. American Girl Place (attraction)
    9. SoHo (neighborhood)
    10. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
    11. Statue of Liberty (attraction)
    12. Ground Zero (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Thom a Thank You Note