• Andrew Spear
  • "Two days in New York, what to see?"

Andrew Spear

New Zealand

Two days in New York, what to see?

My wife and I only have two days in New York and for one of those I may be jet lagged!  What are some good places to visit?  Preferably near each other so we can get around quickly using public transport.

We'd like to fit in Ground Zero and the Statue of Liberty and possibly Central Park.  Having said that, we don't want to join cliche tourist trails, we'd love to mix in some off-the-beaten-track destinations :)

• Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Wow, thanks for all these amazing answers, we started planning the trip in more detail today, we are using a lot of your suggestions :) · (0 likelikes)

• katie jansen

I think a good way to get a mix of tourist and non-tourist activities is to mix in some lesser known (or even just classics that have good food) restaurants and bars with the traditional landmarks and museums.

Something that is very New York, but that not a lot of tourists take part of, are the smaller speakeasy type bars. Attaboy and the Back Room are two that come to mind and could be fit in after visiting Ground Zero.

Attaboy

The Dark Room

Also near Ground Zero is a place called NY Vintners which holds wine pairing dinners that can be really fun.

New York Vintners

A traditional steakhouse is always a nice addition to a NY visit. My favorite is Keen's for very old-school NY but Quality Meats has an amazing menu and a younger vibe.

Quality Meats

Keens Steakhouse

And a martini at a classic bar would be a nice touch, maybe after Central Park. Bemelmans Bar at The Carlyle has live music and a fantastic martini. 21 Club is another of my favorites.

'21' Club

Bemelmans Bar

Something else really unique and special, if you dont have the time or means for a full tasting experience, is the dessert tasting at Per Se. It's $60/person and a TON of courses. Plus the service makes the experience so special. It's a great location if you'd like to check out Columbus Circle or Lincoln Center.

Per Se

And my favorite activity to take friends when they visit is a show at Upright Citizens Brigade. It is a small, hole in the wall type improv comedy club and the shows are always so fantastic. The late night ones I find to be the best, but they all have their own fun spin.

Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre

One more place to stop by is Eataly. It's a fantastic large Italian market that has amazing food and a rooftop beer garden.

Eataly

And a visit wouldn't be complete in my book without a visit to Levain Bakery for one of their amazing cookies. It's a great place to visit on the way to Central Park or the Natural History Museum.

Levain Bakery

Hope this helps!

• Annemarie D.

Annemarie D.

As usual, Katie, I love your NYC recommendations. · (1 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

I agree! · (2 likelikes)

1. Attaboy (attraction)
    2. The Dark Room (attraction)
    3. New York Vintners (attraction)
    4. Quality Meats (restaurant)
    5. Keens Steakhouse (restaurant)
    6. '21' Club (restaurant)
    7. Bemelmans Bar (restaurant)
    8. Per Se (restaurant)
    9. Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre (attraction)
    10. Eataly (restaurant)
    11. Levain Bakery (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send katie a Thank You Note