• Maria Jose Navarrete
  • "Things to do on an overnight layover in NYC and getting around"

Maria Jose Navarrete

Strasbourg, France

Things to do on an overnight layover in NYC and getting around

Okay so a month from now, I arrive in JFK at around 6pm and leave around 5 am the next day. Considering it'll be nighttime:

What is the safest way and cheapest way to get to Grand Central from the airport and back? Uber? regular cabs? some sort of shuttle service? public transportation?

I quite enjoy photography and so this is what I'm most looking forward to do in the city. I want to take pictures of the skyline and from rooftops. Any good locations you can recommend?

I haven't been in New York since I was 20 I have never been in a bar in the city before!!! Any suggestions?

I'd like to stay in Midtown but feel free to suggest anywhere else if you think it's truly worth the trip :) 

• Nicolette orlemans

Hi Maria,

A lot of great answers here already from everyone! Andy shared good advice as far as transportation goes, and everyone contributed wonderful places to stay/eat/drink.

For photography, I'd definitely suggest taking a walk along the High Line Park (High Line). You'll get some great shots from "above" the city. Just be sure to bundle up (it can get pretty windy over there). I'm thinking that at night, it won't be as crowded there either.

If you want an indoor/outdoor rooftop shot, I would also recommend going to the Meatpacking District (Meatpacking District). You could see if The Standard New York (The Standard) rooftop is open and from there you'll be able to get some nice pictures as well. Otherwise, there are plenty of other (hotel) bars in the area that have rooftops like the Hotel Gansevoort (Gansevoort Hotel).

• Maria Jose N.

Maria Jose N.

This has been very helpful, thanks! · (0 likelikes)

1. High Line Park (attraction)
    2. Meatpacking District (neighborhood)
    3. The Standard New York (hotel)
    4. Hotel Gansevoort (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Nicolette a Thank You Note