Tenele Conway

Bungendore, Australia

New York Neighbourhoods

On my last trip to New York I stayed on the Upper West Side. It was a great place to stay but there were so many different neighbourhoods with different vibes. I am interested to know where other people stay when in New York & why?

• Nicolette orlemans

I'm in Harlem (Harlem), and can tell you it's wonderful! People often assume it's a long commute, but it's only about a 20-minute subway ride from Midtown. What's nice is that you can retreat from all the crowds, and explore a great neighborhood.

This area is home to the famous Apollo Theater (Apollo Theater, where legends like Duke Ellington, the Jackson 5, Aretha Franklin and more have performed). If you want to explore local food, I'd highly recommend Red Rooster (Red Rooster, lively music and great food), Chez Lucienne (Chez Lucienne, lovely, authentic French food), Sylvia's (Sylvia's, for Soul Food) and Corner Social (Corner Social, the fried chicken and pancakes are really tasty). These restaurants are all by 125th and the 2/3 train (an easy, express subway you can take from Times Square).

If enjoy quiet walks, there's Marcus Garvey Park (Marcus Garvey Park) and Central Park North (Central Park North, the North Woods at 110th are great) is just a subway ride away and fun to walk around. A convenient, nice hotel in the area is the Aloft Harlem (Aloft Harlem).

Amazing answer, Nicolette! Harlem is one NYC neighborhoods that I haven't explored too much, so I'll have to go back! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Harlem (neighborhood)
    2. Apollo Theater (attraction)
    3. Red Rooster (restaurant)
    4. Chez Lucienne (restaurant)
    5. Sylvia's (restaurant)
    6. Corner Social (restaurant)
    7. Marcus Garvey Park (attraction)
    8. Central Park N (unknown)
    9. Aloft Harlem (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Nicolette a Thank You Note