Kim Spapens

Tilburg, Netherlands

NYC in January, good idea?

Update: I've booked my plain ticket! Thanks for your answers.

Hi!  

I'm planning a trip for January and I'm thinking of going to New York City. I've heard that it's really cold that time of the year and when there's snow, there's a lot of it. Has anyone been in New York in January, or once with such a lot amount of snow? Is it still fun to be there? I'm going there to explore the city vibe and the high lights you find in the books and to see one or more musicals. I will be traveling alone, so it's important for me to be able to reach the hostel when there is snow.  

Maybe it's important to know that I will go on a holiday in January, so if it won't be NYC, it will be another destination and I'll probably skip NYC for a couple of years.  

Thanks in advance!  

Kim

• Lola G

Hi, I lived in NYC for ten years. Don't skip it! It's a fabulous city even with snow. The weather is different every year so can't be spot on. I feel like February was colder but that could be just me :)

Don't forget to check a few sites not on books. High Line Park is a great park build on an old railroad track that ran in the city. It's up above ground so great views even in the cold weather. Visit the New York City Library in Bryant Park. It's gorgeous inside and you will enjoy wondering around. The Cloisters is a nice park which has a museum of medieval art. It's a bit further uptown but take a day and go. My favorite art is found at The Frick Collection. It's inside an old mansion and has beautiful pieces. At Chinatown New York, you will feel like you went to another place. Experience the shops and have a bite :) On a nice sunny day take the subway to Coney Island and walk the boardwalk. It's a classic NYC spot. DUMBO is a good spot to go shopping and for food. The location is very unique since part of it underneath the Manhattan Bridge. The Noguchi Museum in Queens is very nice and has a beautiful Japanese garden. Jackson Heights, NY is an interesting neighborhood that shows how NYC is a melting pot of cultures. Here you will find latino and south asian communities so you will feel like you traveled to another part of the world. Experience different cultures, shop and taste the flavor. The East Village and Lower East Side are great neighborhoods to wonder around...look for street art and take pictures. The Chelsea Market architecture is very interesting...check out the well inside. Little stands and shops make for an enjoyable experience.

I could go on but these are a few ideas! Have a great time :)

1. High Line Park (attraction)
    2. New York City Library (attraction)
    3. The Cloisters (attraction)
    4. The Frick Collection (attraction)
    5. Chinatown New York (neighborhood)
    6. Coney Island (attraction)
    7. DUMBO (attraction)
    8. The Noguchi Museum (attraction)
    9. Jackson Heights, NY (attraction)
    10. East Village (neighborhood)
    11. Lower East Side (attraction)
    12. Chelsea Market (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Lola a Thank You Note