• Tiffany Weber
  • "If I have a car, what's the best way for me to see NYC? Should I park outside and bus in? Is there easy/reasonably priced parking inside the city? "

Tiffany Weber

Corvallis, Oregon

If I have a car, what's the best way for me to see NYC? Should I park outside and bus in? Is there easy/reasonably priced parking inside the city?

I'd like to spend a day in NYC on my roadtrip, but am nervous about the traffic/parking situation there.

• Courtney Robinson

Personally, I hate driving in NYC so much that I would absolutely bus it in (and I learned to drive in the city!). If you've never driven there before it can be a pretty harrowing experience. Rules are rarely followed, the traffic is beyond bad and parking is a giant pain. Besides, if you do any real sight-seeing you'll probably end up on public transportation anyway. My feeling is, why do it to yourself? I'm not sure where you're coming from, but I would actually try my best to take a train in--routes into the city can be a nightmare traffic wise.

If you do decide to drive in, parking will run you anywhere from about $20 to $60 for the day (absolutely, positively forget hourly parking--you'll be running back to fill the meter and the rules are wildly confusing even to New Yorkers). If you really feel the need to drive in you can check out http://nyc.bestparking.com/ for places to park.

Good luck!!!

• Tiffany W.

Tiffany W.

That's what I'd suspected. I'm doing a road trip from southern Maryland to Cape Cod and back with several stops along the way. Will be staying in New Brunswick (where there is nothing), so perhaps I'll leave my car there and just train it in. I've driven in Paris, but NYC scares me. · (1 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

Good for you--you'll have a much better time! And have a blast! You'll love the Cape, too--it's one of my favorite spots in the world! · (0 likelikes)

• Aubrey S.

Aubrey S.

I rarely drive in NYC (where I live) and while you need to be very alert, it's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. That said, I agree with Courtney as it's not necessary AT ALL and will be more of a hassle than a help. I'd leave your car somewhere securely, take the train in and then enjoy the city on foot, via subway, or even water ferry! Have fun! · (3 likelikes)

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

The ferry is actually a great idea, Aubrey! You'll get a fabulous view of the city. · (0 likelikes)

• Tiffany W.

Tiffany W.

The ferry sounds great! Is there a ferry from the Jersey side? · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Courtney a Thank You Note