Louise Tiernan

Dublin, Ireland

Budget?

Hey all, 

Looking into a trip to new york (winter time)..currently trying to figure out how much I would need. 

After accommodation I had been thinking $250 for 'tours' and then $100 per day after that. As far as eating goes would hope to have breakfast in the hotel & cook for myself a few times out of the week so not planning on spending a huge amount on food every day, just a couple of nice meals. 

Also another question - does the subway run all night?

Thanks for all your help :) 

• CJ Yu

Hi Louise,

Yes indeed the subway is open 24/7, and during peak hours (business weekdays), trains usually arrive every 3-7 minutes. In the late evenings and weekends, some lines may be less frequent (10-15 minute intervals). Despite their reputation, locals are quite friendly and approachable if you need directions on which subways to take if you get lost underground. If you have an Android/Iphone, check out the Hop Stop App and it'll tell you how to get from point A to point B.

I would actually NOT recommend buying breakfast in the hotel, as there are tons of street vendors EVERYWHERE where you easily pick up a breakfast sandwich, bagel, or piece of fruit for very cheap--probably at a small fraction at what the hotel would be charging you (unless the hotel offers free breakfast). Also, often times, it's actually cheaper to eat out than to cook yourself!

I travelled to NYC from LA about once every 4-5 weeks for work, so became very familiar with a lot of hidden gems. Even though my meals were covered because I was travelling for business, I often found eating at the "hole in the wall" places were more rewarding than proper sit downs.

If you're on a tighter budget, check out New York Magazine's annual "Cheap Eats" list--I've been to both 5-star and cheap street cart food, many of those which have shown up on this list--it's very thorough. 

A MUST TRY in my opinion is "THE" Chicken and Rice cart at 53rd Street and 6th Avenue (Across from the Hilton), it's called Halal Brothers Halal and it is hands down the best meal in NYC you can buy for $5. It's become a must-try for tourists, there's usually a short-line outside (no more than 5-10 minutes) but totally worth it. Another one is Xi'an Famous Foods with several locations in East Village and Chinatown ($6 handmade noodles).

If you want to splurge on a nice meal, definitely consider ABC Kitchen or Balthazar Restaurant which either one would be worth your while.

Cheap food can be found, especially if you stick to recommended places--often quite cheaper than cooking yourself!

Good luck in NYC--hope you have a blast!

• Annemarie D.

Annemarie D.

Xi'an was my favorite when I worked over in that nabe. Great choice. Worth waiting on the line at LES location. · (1 likelikes)

1. Halal Brothers Halal (restaurant)
    2. Xi'an Famous Foods (restaurant)
    3. ABC Kitchen (restaurant)
    4. Balthazar Restaurant (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send CJ a Thank You Note