• Francesca Manto
  • "Affordable Must-Dos in New Orleans, Louisiana?"

Affordable Must-Dos in New Orleans, Louisiana?

I'm planning on visiting New Orleans for 2 or 3 days with my parents over spring break in a few weeks.
What are must see/must dos while there?
My family and I love to experience the culture (food, history of the city, music, etc.)
Hole in the wall places would be great to know about, too! 

Also, any knowledge of value hotels around the area would be greatly appreciated, as well.

Thanks y'all :)

• Jim Gerace

One big tip is to walk. New Orleans is pretty spread out, but the biggest "attraction" are very walkable. Go to any touristy spot and pick up a free tour map. It'll have easy self guided walking tours in The French Quarter , Garden District and Street Car for info on how to move from one to the other. Must-do highlights are: Beignets at Café du Monde in The French Quarter ; Muffuletta from Central Grocery Co. for lunch (go early and stand in line no matter how long it is--it's worth it); do a walking tour around Jackson Square , Moon Walk (Mississippi Riverside plazas), and the shops all through "the Quarter". One one of your days, buy an all day streetcar ticket that will let you jump on and jump off anywhere during the day. Take it down to the Garden District and St. Charles Ave to see all the beautiful Victorian homes. Jump off at one of the cemeteries and look around at the above ground graves. It's like going back in time. Jump back on the streetcar and jump off at Audubon Park . This may be a good place to have a picnic lunch under one of the many ancient live oaks. If you start your streetcar ride early, take it down to the end of St. Charles and jump off at The Camellia Grill for waffles (it's also good for lunch). Then make your way back to the Quarter and catch the highlights in reverse. If you like zoos, Audubon Zoo is a nice compact place to see exotic as well as native Louisiana animals in a lush tropical setting (on the river side of St. Charles across from the park).

General Trippy MediaFor food, anywhere is going to be great. I suggest you stay away from the touristy places and look for restaurants a little off the beaten path. Mother's Restaurant is a really good example of a hole in the wall that's gained lots of popularity with tourists and locals alike. Get something with roast beef. You can thank me later. Grand Isle Restaurant toward the warehouse district is walkable from the Quarter and has an excellent shrimp po boy. For a nice dinner with a sleek modern yet casual collegiate atmosphere, check out Capdeville also in the warehouse district. Great food; great atmosphere and not too expensive. If you want to splurge a little, there's always the a fancy famous places like Commander's Palace in the Garden District and Brennan's Restaurant in the quarter or any of the John Besh restaurants. But for a uniquely New Orleans experience, do the Sunday jazz brunch at Muriel's Jackson Square right across the street from St. Louis Cathedral --FANTASTIC! And if you want to not spurge but feel like you did, go to Brennan's after dinner just for their Bananas Foster. It's one of those things you must do before you die. Put it on your bucket list.

All of the places I mentioned have websites. Check them out. Hope this helps.

1. The French Quarter (neighborhood)
    2. Garden District (neighborhood)
    3. Café du Monde (restaurant)
    4. The French Quarter (neighborhood)
    5. Central Grocery Co. (restaurant)
    6. Jackson Square (attraction)
    7. Moon Walk (attraction)
    8. St. Charles Ave (attraction)
    9. Audubon Park (attraction)
    10. The Camellia Grill (restaurant)
    11. Audubon Zoo (attraction)
    12. Mother's Restaurant (restaurant)
    13. Grand Isle Restaurant (restaurant)
    14. Capdeville (restaurant)
    15. Commander's Palace (restaurant)
    16. Brennan's Restaurant (restaurant)
    17. Muriel's Jackson Square (restaurant)
    18. St. Louis Cathedral (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jim a Thank You Note