• Justin McClintock
  • "Cities/sights to see driving from Amsterdam to Belgium and back in 2 days?"

Justin McClintock

Miami Beach, Florida

Cities/sights to see driving from Amsterdam to Belgium and back in 2 days?

*Updated: Originally we wanted to drive to Paris but the general feedback was that it was not a good idea given the time constraints*

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks. We arrive early Thursday morning and plan on renting a car at the airport to drive into Belgium for the night and then plan on being back in Amsterdam sometime Friday night to spend the rest of the weekend there (we leave Monday afternoon).

We want to explore some of the cities in the Netherlands and Belgium along the way. Any recommendations on what places to stop in/sites to see and how much time to spend there versus just driving through would be greatly appreciated.  

Below is a potential itinerary that I've put together based on things that I've read. Please feel free to speak to any of these places or other ones not listed.

• Thursday: Arrive Amsterdam 7:30 am - rent car
  • Aalsmeer - to see the flower auction (runs from 7 - 9 am)
  • Gouda - to see the cheese market (runs from 10 am -12:30 pm)
  • The Hague - suggestions?
  • Delft - to see the blue pottery
  • Rotterdam - suggestions?
  • Kinderdijk - to see the windmills
  • Antwerp - suggestions?
  • Ghent - architecture/castles
  • Brussels - Grote Markt
  • Utrecht - Kasteel De Haar/castles

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

• Antwerp (city)

Antwerp

• Ghent (city)

Ghent

• Brussels (city)

Brussels

• Jasper van der Meer

If you go from Kinderdijk to Rotterdam, you might as well stop in the oldest city in The Netherlands: Dordrecht. The old town is super cool with all classic houses, built in typical Dutch style. Walk through the street called Voorstraat it's just a few miles and runs from the river to down town straight through the old town. It's not a big center, but defo worth a visit if you want to see some old Dutch culture. It also happens to be my hometown until the end of the month.

DordrechtThe attached image is a view on the totally off-centered church right in down town. From a distance you can see how crooked it is :)

I don't know much about The Hague, but what I do know is that Scheveningen is right around the corner of The Hague and you can't miss our coastline with the, albeit a bit tourist-trappy, boulevard and shopping street. Also Kijkduin has a nice beach but doesn't offer much apart from that.

Rotterdam is an amazing city. I always feel laidback and safe when I'm there. Do mind your belonings of course as in any big city and don't fall for the "do you got a few cents for me" bums that'll rip your wallet from your hand like, again, in any big city. Rotterdam is the city of water so you'll have to check out the Spido boat that offers a ride over the water through Rotterdam.

Be sure to check out Stadhuisplein and Binnenrotte and surrounding streets like Meent for some nice establishments for food and drinks. You can eat for dirt cheap on Binnerotte in restaurants like Umami, Sumo Sushi & Grill and a lot more. Just check Yelp, a few dedicated citizens are writing reviews on Yelp for you :)

Take a walk over Lijnbaan Winkelstraat to see a ton more shops and food courts, etc and if you walk in the right direction, you'll end up very close to the Rotterdam Centraal train station, where you can take a train back to wherever you want to go.

Do watch out: parking is next to impossible for foreigners in Rotterdam. You'll need a chip on your bank card and it just doesn't work "out-the-box". You'll need to activate the parking system on your card and it's a friggin' hassle. You're best off parking your rental car at Kralingse Zoom P+R just over the bridge and take the metro (subway) from there that will take you right into Centraal Station.

Bring warm clothes. Our weather sucks, generally :)Rotterdam centraalCentraal Station Rotterdam

Wow, this would be an amazing road trip! · (1 likelikes)

• Valerie A.

Valerie A.

Thanks for the heads up on parking. Not being able to find a parking spot is one of the most frustrating things. · (1 likelikes)

• Jasper v.

Jasper v.

on the map "Rotterdam Centraal" is positioned wrong, that should be positioned on Rotterdam Central Station. Binnerotte is a street, but I wrote that wrong, it should be Binnenrotte, with an added 'n'. · (0 likelikes)

• Justin M.

Justin M.

Thanks for the information, Jasper! · (1 likelikes)

Hi Jasper, thanks for mentioning this -- both Rotterdam Centraal and Binnenrotte have been updated. If you notice anything else that's off in the future, please do hit the "feedback" link at the top of any page to let us know and we'll look into it :) · (0 likelikes)

1. Kinderdijk (attraction)
    2. Rotterdam (city)
    3. The Netherlands (attraction)
    4. Dordrecht (city)
    5. Voorstraat (attraction)
    6. The Hague (city)
    7. Scheveningen (city)
    8. Kijkduin (attraction)
    9. Rotterdam (city)
    10. Stadhuisplein (attraction)
    11. Binnenrotte (attraction)
    12. Meent (attraction)
    13. Umami (restaurant)
    14. Sumo Sushi & Grill (attraction)
    15. Lijnbaan Winkelstraat (attraction)
    16. Rotterdam Centraal (attraction)
    17. Kralingse Zoom P+R (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jasper a Thank You Note