• George Robson
  • "What are 3 things you wish someone told you before you went to Nepal?"

George Robson

Ocean Grove, New Jersey

What are 3 things you wish someone told you before you went to Nepal?

I'm headed to Nepal in October from 1-3 months.

I'm gonna be on my own traveling light (just a 35L pack), somewhat budget (couchsurfing, hostel, ashram...), and while I have some ideas of what I'd like to see I try not to over-schedule so as to avoid feeling like I'm on a tour all the time. As of right now I was thinking of spending a week in Kathmandu, doing a short trek of Annapurna Himalayas...Pokhara, Chitwan, and Lumbini are areas I'm considering visiting depending on time and budget. As I said I'm trying to limit my schedule since the temptation will always be to see as much as possible.

I love being outside, new food I'm unfamiliar with, I'm a recording artist so music and art is always exciting. I'll probably crave some physical outlet and anything of historical and spiritual significance is fascinating to me as well.

For those who have been to Nepal or surrounding area, what are 3 things you wish you'd been told before going?

Culture, food, housing, transportation...it's all fair game.

Thanks in advance!

• Jennifer Wineke

Kathmandu is definitely crowded, dusty, and dirty, but in my opinion, still definitely worth exploring. The city is riddled with insanely gorgeous temples, and everything -- life, death, spirituality, commercialism, poverty, animals, everything -- is on display. I took my mother and sister to the Pashupatinath temple (after having lived in Nepal for five months) and they were absolutely floored at the sight of a public cremation, which I had weirdly become comfortable with -- I think that's telling. If you're fascinated by anything of historical/spiritual significance, then I think Kathmandu will be really interesting to you.

I would definitely visit Bhaktapur if you have the time. It's comfortable (good place to unwind after a more hectic stay in Kathmandu) and beautiful.

1) You can enter Buddhist monasteries and sit down for however long you'd like. As a solo traveler, I loved spending time in the monasteries around the BoudhaNath Stupa, staring at the thangkas and listening to the chants.

2) If you're going to venture away from Western-style restaurants, just stick to street food that is coming immediately out of the fryer/fire/pot (fully cooked, no chance of flies) or eat fruit that has a peel. If you get a chance to eat home-cooked food, definitely try the traditional dal bhat (rice, lentils) and cooked veggies -- it's super satisfying and can be really delicious when homemade. Be careful, but if you do get sick, Cipro will take care of it in no time.

3) Small Nepali towns (and the people that live in them) are incredible -- if your porter-guide can take you to more off-the-beaten path places, go for it. My friends who brought their instruments (ukuleles, banjos, whatever) had instant friends wherever they went. If you're offered chhaang, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chhaang) take it.

Great advice, Jennifer! Thank you! · (0 likelikes)

1. Kathmandu (city)
    2. Bhaktapur (city)
    3. BoudhaNath Stupa (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jennifer a Thank You Note