• Rocio Acevedo
  • "Our thoughts are with those in Nepal"

Rocio Acevedo

Costa Rica

Our thoughts are with those in Nepal

Please share a picture or a memory of a special moment you spent while traveling in Nepal. Our hearts go out to Nepal and its people.

• Miranda Rensch

I was in Nepal when the earthquake hit. I was lucky to be at the airport where we were all able to run out into the open.

I had spent the two weeks before that falling completely and totally in love with the people and country of Nepal. Old women would touch your arm in passing as a gentle display of affection, like a grandmother, but they didn't know you at all. I played cards for six hours with a group of Nepalese young men because we were all caught in a rainstorm. They felt like my brothers after five minutes. I strolled around Durbar square on Nepalese New Year and watched kids run through crowds of pigeons amongst beautiful ancient brick temples.

I can't even begin to describe how sad I am for these people. Hundreds of thousands of people, the kindest people I've ever met, are left grieving the loss of their friends, family members, homes. These are people with average income of $15 / day, rebuilding is going to be very difficult.

I started this fundraising campaign to help out; if you want to help please make a donation: http://igg.me/at/AjAYm7eakrc

Most of the funds will go directly to families in the Gurkha village. This village, the hometown of my friend Santosh who I spent five days trekking with, and was hit the hardest by the earthquake - 90% of it is completely destroyed. Villages typically receive less aid from the main services, so I'm hoping this money will be really helpful to families there trying to rebuild their lives there. General Trippy MediaIt breaks my heart to even post this photo; just one of the beautiful places around Kathmandu that is now a site for so much loss.

• Rocio A.

Rocio A.

Thanks so much for sharing with us your such amazing and touching details. You are blessed to meet this unique people and beautiful places before the earthquake hit. Now it is time for us to help and keep them on our prayers. Thanks again! · (1 likelikes)

• Jillian G.

Jillian G.

Wow, thanks for sharing Miranda. · (1 likelikes)

• Miranda R.

Miranda R.

Hey all! I just wanted to give a little update on the fundraiser. We've done four supply drops and helped around 2,200 people get food, temporary shelter, and medicine / doctors check-ups: https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/nepal-earthquake-relief-and-rebuild/x/10628635 If anyone can help spread the word I would really appreciate it! Every $1,000 is another supply drop that we can do; there are still hundreds of villages that haven't received any aid from any groups yet with no shelter, limited food, and sanitation issues caused by the earthquake damage. Thanks for your help! · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Miranda a Thank You Note