• Beverly Joesten
  • "Road trip from Monterey to Napa"

Beverly Joesten

San Luis Obispo, California

Road trip from Monterey to Napa

My boyfriend and I were going to take a romantic little staycation up to Monterey (we're from San Luis Obispo), but have decided to make a slightly bigger trip out of it by adding Napa.  We've been to San Francisco several times before, so we wouldn't be stopping by this time around.  We don't want to take too much time off, so this will be a weekend trip from Friday to Monday.  Here are our plans at the moment.  Would appreciate your critique and suggestions!

Friday

• Drive from SLO to Monterey in the morning
  • Visit Monterey Bay Aquarium
  • Walk around downtown
  • Dinner in Monterey (any suggestions to somewhere nice?)
  • Drive to Santa Cruz and walk along boardwalk at night
  • Drive to Half Moon Bay and stay the night

Saturday

• Explore Half Moon Bay
  • Drive to Napa at noon
  • Wine tasting till dinner time, we have a list of places in Napa
  • Dinner at Ad Hoc in Yountville at 6
  • Spend the night in Napa

Sunday

• After a two day road trip, we plan on sleeping in.  Should we wake up early enough, we may go to a winery before lunch
  • Lunch at Rutherford Grill
  • Shopping in St. Helena
  • Visit the Geyser in Calistoga
  • Spa -- we hear that Calistoga is good for hot spring soaking and mud baths.  Any suggestions?
  • Dinner at Brix in Yountville
  • Stay the night in Napa

Monday

• Drive back to SLO directly from Napa
  • We'll likely be taking 680 and 101.  Anything noteworthy to stop by along the way?

• Sunil Gupta

I live fairly close to everything that you have listed on Friday. I literally live in the middle of Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz and Monterey and it only takes me about 30-60 minutes to drive to each of them, but I would make entire day trips out of each city. Point being is, I don't think you'll fully get to experience those three places in just one day.

If you were coming from really far away, say, another country or across the country and were pressed for time, I would suggest you try to cram all those in, but since you live in SLO and can just drive a couple hours up, save it for another weekend where you can dedicate all of your time to the area.

If I had to choose for your current itinerary, I would stay the night in Monterey, skip Santa Cruz, and especially skip Half Moon Bay since it's so far off path to Napa.

When it comes to spa, my fiance scheduled us an appointment at Indian Springs and it was great. The massage was awesome and the mineral soak was kind of cool.

• Beverly J.

Beverly J.

Thank you for the suggestions, Sunil! We'll definitely be back around, so I guess we'll save HMB for another time! · (0 likelikes)

1. Indian Springs (hotel)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sunil a Thank You Note