• Jeff Mills
  • "Where to visit in Myanmar and Vietnam?"

Jeff Mills

Portland, Oregon

Where to visit in Myanmar and Vietnam?

I am looking to travel in the late fall and I am wondering where are the best places to visit? I will have about 2.5 total weeks and I am looking to visit Vietnam, Myanmar and one other city which is still up in the air (Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong). Generally my travel has been focused on Europe and then Israel. I am expecting quite a bit of a different cultural experience, but overall I enjoy checking out the town, markets, eating and drinking, some sites (not museums) and overall enjoying people watching while having a few drinks. 

Any ideas or thoughts on cities, things to do, etc. would be fantastic.

• Hoi An (city)

Hoi An

• Mandalay (city)

Mandalay

• Hue (city)

Hue Vietnam Hue Vietnam

• Lawrence McFarland

Great trip idea, not dissimilar to the one I took last February. (I visited Thailand instead of Vietnam.)

In Yangon, the highlight of the city is the Shwedagon Pagoda complex. It is beautiful at any time of the day but stands out best in the hours before and after sunset.

In the middle of the city's financial district, standing awkwardly in the center of a traffic circle, you will find the smaller but more historically significant Sule Pagoda. This area is where Yangon's citizens have protested against their government's abuses, which often has triggered even greater crackdowns.

The best shopping can be found in the massive Bogyoke Market. And for a great dinner experience, try one of the clustered barbecue restaurants on 19th Street.

I enjoyed Mandalay, where the hike down the holy site Mandalay Hill drops you near Kuthodaw Pagoda, where you can see the world's largest book. Mandalay also gives you a unique opportunity to travel to Bagan by boat. The trip was delightful, but you must arrive at the docks before dawn. And the arrival timetable is often delayed by a couple of hours.

Bagan was the standout thrill of the trip. Consider hiring a horse cart to take you between the temples. These business men are quite humble and flexible in meeting your needs, and you can rest assured that your payments will help feed a family. Bicycle rentals are also available.

Inle Lake offers a unique experience and a glimpse into Burmese culture. I found Indein Market and the nearby crumbling small temple ruins particularly intriguing. (From the village, cross the bridge and go up the hill to find the pagoda complex.)

EDIT: I neglected to mention a fabulous side trip from Bagan to Mt Popa. The local area allows you to both see a near-unique geographic phenomenon and also become more acquainted with the worship of local spirits, called Nats. Also, it's a chance to interact with the local population of monkeys.

Enjoy the trip!

1. Yangon (city)
    2. Shwedagon Pagoda (attraction)
    3. Sule Pagoda (attraction)
    4. Bogyoke Market (attraction)
    5. Mandalay (city)
    6. Kuthodaw Pagoda (attraction)
    7. Bagan (city)
    8. Inle Lake (attraction)
    9. Indein Market (attraction)
    10. Mt Popa (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Lawrence a Thank You Note