• Christine Klemmer
  • "What's the best way to experience Oktoberfest?"

Christine Klemmer

Austin, Texas

What's the best way to experience Oktoberfest?

This will be my first time going to Oktoberfest (and Munich, actually), so I'd love some suggestions for good beer gardens, restaurants, or even street celebrations for Oktoberfest! We’re staying near Munich, but it’s really more of a base as we hope to explore a lot of the country. Thanks!

• Marienplatz (attraction)

Marienplatz Munich 80331

• Oktoberfest (attraction)

Theresienhöhe Munich 80339 089/23396500

• Augustiner-Keller (restaurant)

Arnulfstr. 52 Munich Bayern 80335 +49 89 594393

• Alex Jorge

Cristine,

If you do not have tickets for the private beerhalls, then I suggest you arrive early, before lunch to get a spot at the shared tables. Oktoberfest is great fun but it can get crowded if you go only at night, and you will want to experience the atmosphere in the beerhalls, the dancing, eating and singing!

Oktoberfest

The first weekend of the festival this year is 21st September, on the first saturday there is a traditional procession of the all the beer brewers which is also fun to attend.

MarienplatzAs for other activities, Munich is a super friendly and welcoming town, very manageable and easy to explore (great trains!) The city centre is Marienplatz from where you can easily walk to fun markets and the English Gardens (the main green space in central Munich). The Englischer Garten has a number of biergartens, the liveliest being by the Chinese Pavillion with open air long tables and live bands.

If you are looking to visit a bierhall, the most central and famous is the Hofbräuhaus am Platzl. Personally, I prefer the Augustiner Bräustuben, Waldwirtschaft Großhesselohe and Augustiner-Keller.

Hofbräuhaus am Platzlimage from trekearth.comFor more information on how to prepare and what to expect of Oktoberfest plus and overview on Munich, check out my blog post: http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/62515974161/oktoberfest-2013

• Valerie A.

Valerie A.

Once again, great recommendations :) · (1 likelikes)

• Christine K.

Christine K.

Yes, amazing! Thank for sharing. Great blog post! · (1 likelikes)

• Alex J.

Alex J.

Glad you enjoyed it and that it was of help. Hope you have a fantastic time...I'm sure you will! · (1 likelikes)

• Christine K.

Christine K.

Thank you! · (1 likelikes)

1. Oktoberfest (attraction)
    2. Marienplatz (attraction)
    3. Englischer Garten (attraction)
    4. Hofbräuhaus am Platzl (restaurant)
    5. Augustiner Bräustuben (restaurant)
    6. Waldwirtschaft Großhesselohe (restaurant)
    7. Augustiner-Keller (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Alex a Thank You Note