• Pamela Gauci
  • "Two days solo in Munich, what should I do that is off the beaten path?"

Pamela Gauci

Los Gatos, California

Two days solo in Munich, what should I do that is off the beaten path?

I've been to Munich at least four times for my job. The first few days I have free, but am usually in a jet-lagged fog after crossing nine times zones from California. I've done the usual city center and a very short trip through Englischer Garten, as well as day trips to Dachau and Salzburg. I'm headed to Munich again in a few weeks and, this time, I really want to get lost in some great parts of the city. It's just me and I have no budget. My style is to not get caught doing super-touristy stuff. I LOVE walking for miles. Where in the city should I go? I was thinking about a day trip to the famous castle (forget the name at the moment) outside of the city, but heard that's overrun with tourists. I wouldn't mind a day trip to a small Bavarian town either. 

• Lauren Folkmann

Hi Pamela,

Neuschwanstein Castle is probably the castle you're thinking of and yes, it is definitely a tourist hot spot. However, it is a great day trip from Munich and it is a beautiful place to see. You can reserve your tickets online ahead of time and bypass the longer ticket line when you arrive. I'll be honest though, the castle itself wasn't all that exciting-it is largely unfinished and you don't really see much. If I were to visit again I would just walk up to Marienbrücke (Mary's bridge) for the great views. There are several walking/hiking paths around the castle that you could spend some time on.

Neuschwanstein CastleAnother possible day trip would be to the Zugspitze-the highest peak (and highest beer garden) in Germany. On a clear day the views are breathtaking, but it can also get very crowded. I would only go up if it was a very clear day and I would get there early to get a jump on the crowds.

ZugspitzeIf you're looking for another day trip option with views, The Eagle's Nest was another spot we considered, just didn't end up making it there!

1. Neuschwanstein Castle (attraction)
    2. Munich (city)
    3. Marienbrücke (unknown)
    4. Zugspitze (attraction)
    5. The Eagle's Nest (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Lauren a Thank You Note