• Ryan Weiss
  • "The best beer tent at Oktoberfest?"

Ryan Weiss

Redondo Beach, California

The best beer tent at Oktoberfest?

I'll be in Munich for Oktoberfest this year and want to know what the best beer tent is. 

• Terry L.

Terry L.

There are no bad tents ! The requirement is that you have to be local Munich brewery to even have a tent - so you are looking at nothing but excellent beer, great food, and happy people. Octoberfest is part carnival as well, so plan on spending time enjoying all aspects of the festival. It will be impossible for anyone to sit when the ompah band is playing a popular song, you are going to have to standup and sing along. So before you go, you need to learn the words to at least one (or more) popular German songs! By the way, we just returned from a week's stay in Munich (last week of July 2013) and the construction is well underway at the Octoberfest field. You will have a great time ! · (2 likelikes)

• Oktoberfest (attraction)

Theresienhöhe Munich 80339 089/23396500

• Hippodrom (attraction)

Oberbayern BY 80336 089 24292910

• Ross Weber

Oktoberfest
    I have friends that live in Munich and they suggested I go to the Schutzen tent. I went by myself...and had a great time! I believe it is very tough to get tickets, but if you can find pre-sale tickets I would suggest you buy them. I went to the tent without a ticket and ended up buying 2 tickets (he wouldn't sell just one) for around $90 USD. Yes, I paid too much, but it was well worth it.

Each tent has it's own type of crowd depending on which tent it is, and which week it is. One tent is Yuppie. One tent is very young. One week is "Italian" or "Australian." My experience at the Shutzen tent was a great mix of young and old, and very traditional. I would highly recommend it as your first choice. The things I learned while attending Oktoberfest:

Try to get nearby hotel, so you can walk.

Pre-buy tickets if possible. If not, be prepared to pay $$$ to "scalper."

Do not try to stand at the exit and hope to get in.

Definitely buy Lederhosen if you're a guy, and Dirndl if you're a girl. If you don't have traditional costume it is OK, but you will be in the 5% without a "costume." Don't buy it in the states. Wait until you get to Munich and spend the $100+ for a decent outfit (dresses are less expensive).

It's encouraged to stand on benches during sing along songs. Maybe even learn the chorus for a couple of the main German songs.

Do not stand on tables. Do not attempt to share your beer by pouring it in somebody else's beer (I did this and felt like Chevy Chase in European vacation - I was almost hanged).

The beer is strong and has less carbonation (specially brewed for Oktoberfest to be easier to drink). I had two "mas" (liters) and probably didn't need the third.

Make new best friends. I did.

Have fun! Definitely a bucket list item that should be checked.

1. Oktoberfest (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Ross a Thank You Note