• Natalia Scott Perkins
  • "Should I spend more time in Amsterdam or Munich?"

Natalia Scott Perkins

Simpsonville, South Carolina

Should I spend more time in Amsterdam or Munich?

My husband and I are a couple on our mid-20's who will be traveling to Europe for the first time this May. We have a week to split between Amsterdam and Munich, and aren't sure how to divide our time -- 3 days in Amsterdam and 4 days in Munich or vice versa?  

In Amsterdam, we plan on visiting local attractions (museums, Anne Frank house, etc). In Munich, we want to venture out to Dachau and Neuschwanstein Castle in addition to enjoying what the city has to offer.  

If it makes a difference, we'll also be spending time in Brussels, Bruges and Prague.  

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Amsterdam (city)

Amsterdam

• Munich (city)

Munich Bavaria

• Dachau (attraction)

Dachau Bayern

• Jeff Mills

This is a very similar trip as to what we did about 3 years ago, except we had Oktoberfest going on while in Munich. PRG >> MUC>> BRU >> BRUG >> AMS So here are my thoughts:

We spent two and a half days in Amsterdam and wish we would have spend easily 2 more days there I love that city - between the Indonesian food, bars, cafes, museums, Red Light District and just walking around, you could easily kill three days there without leaving the city.

Munich is a great city but it is not what I would call a cultural hub compared to many other European cities, but it is great fun. It is an awesome place for shopping for both men and women. Spend some time in the market behind St. Peter's Church , eat a pretzel and cream cheese for breakfast, drink at Hofbräuhaus , shop along Weinstube . You can easily do two full days without going outside the city. Dachau and any castles are likely to be full day trips each on their own.

Be careful on how much you try to cram in when going to other places so you leave enough time to just hang out in the bars and cafes and people watch. Find places where locals hang out rather just in the plazas (you will spend way more and it is sort of like an Olive Garden for food).

Prague is great - go to Pivovar U Fleků for dinner. And in Brussels be sure to visit The Delirium Cafe .

• Brew J.

Brew J.

This is such a good and specific answer. Well done. · (0 likelikes)

1. Amsterdam (city)
    2. Red Light District (attraction)
    3. Munich (city)
    4. St. Peter's Church (attraction)
    5. Hofbräuhaus (restaurant)
    6. Weinstube (restaurant)
    7. Dachau (attraction)
    8. Prague (city)
    9. Pivovar U Fleků (restaurant)
    10. Brussels (city)
    11. Delirium Cafe (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jeff a Thank You Note