• Supun Edirisinghe
  • "Route & tour group recommendation for Mt. Kilimanjaro in December"

Supun Edirisinghe

Carson (California), California

Route & tour group recommendation for Mt. Kilimanjaro in December

A friend of mine is going to volunteer in Tanzania, and she'll have a break from her teaching project in December. I'm going to go visit her then, and we want to climb Mt Kiliminjaro. 

What's your opinion on what route we should take? We were told the Machame route is the most beautiful. Is there another route that you think would be better to take in December? We are both relatively fit and don't mind a challenge, but also don't want to go the hardest way possible.

Do you have a recommendation on a tour group or guide we can use? Is it better through an online tour broker or would we be able to save if try to find something while on the ground there? 

thanks

• Courtney R.

Courtney R.

OMG, I am so jealous that you're doing this--I've always wanted to do it!!! · (0 likelikes)

• Jonathan Lee

Hi Supun!

I climbed the 6 day Machame route in September of 2012. While I enjoyed it, it did feel like the route was pretty crowded. No waiting in lines to summit or anything like that, but just a lot of other climbers on the same route and lots of folks at the camps.

Recommended Routes:

Good alternatives to Machame are Lemosho where you start the first 2 days in an area where there is more wildlife and its less crowded (it ends up merging with the Machame route after the second day) and the Rogai route which is a lot less crowded. I've had friends go on both of these routes reporting very positive experiences. At the end of the day it really depends on your personal preferences and if you prefer solitude vs. company :)

If you are more adventurous, given a second opportunity to climb Kili, I would climb Kili and camp at the crater camp after summiting (climb high, sleep low). Only around 5% of Kili climbers visit the crater camp.

Resources:

I recommend picking up Henry Steadman's book on climbing Kilimanjaro which is the one of the best guides out there about climbing Kili. He has day by day descriptions of each route which really helped me make my decision and also offers tons of other useful info.

Here is a description/comparison of all the routes and their route profile.

Picking a good tour local tour operator:

Check out a blog post I wrote here: http://journeykilimanjaro.com/ about picking a good local tour operator and what to look for (very important to verify the tour operator licenses and find out which company is actually taking you up). Definitely do your research and ask for references.

You can certainly book your tours by finding something on the ground when you get there. However, since it is high season in December I would recommend booking ahead of time so that you have peace of mind that you have booked your tour after doing all the due diligence in advance vs. comparing tour operators in real time while out there.

As part of my work with VentureFar which helps travelers connect with local tour operators around the I have done a lot of research in this area in addition to climbing Kili not too long ago while I was working in Kenya for 6 months :)

• Supun E.

Supun E.

thanks again. I like the idea behind VentureFar. thanks for the book recommendation also. · (1 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Jonathan a Thank You Note