• Stephanie Grace
  • "Moving to the UK from the US: suggestions on a phone plan?"

Stephanie Grace

Los Angeles, California

Moving to the UK from the US: suggestions on a phone plan?

I'm moving to the UK and I'm a bit stumped about what to do about a phone. A friend recommended getting a travel phone. When I've traveled in the past, I just relied on WiFi and turned off my data with my carrier, to avoid charges. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Alex Jorge

Hi Stephanie,

I'm with Paige on this. It will be much cheaper for you to get a local phone. Depending on what you are using your phone for, there are a few options:

If you have an unlocked phone already:

Just buy a pay-as-you go SIM card (if you are here for a short period) from Orange, O2, 3, Vodaphone, EE, etc. You can check out prices for each company online before buying. Tesco is a good cheap option too.

If you need a phone:

Get a pay-as-you-go or monthly plan from a mobile provider that allows you to get a free phone with your plan. But make sure you sign-up for the correct time period or you may be stuck paying for your plan after leaving the UK.

Naturally, you can also buy a phone from amazon or carphone warehouse but if you need a sim card it usually works out the same or cheaper to go direct to Orange, Three, Vodaphone, etc.

If you travel and talk much:

Each mobile provider will have different plans for calling while roaming. I find that for my travels in Europe, vodaphone has the best deal whereas you pay 3GBP/day flat fee to call from anywhere to anywhere in Europe.

For US calls:

There are also ad-ons that give you 'free' minutes to the US but, to be honest, I think they still make your plans too expensive. Easier to use wifi and call with skype, viber, google, facetime, etc.

If you intend to buy a pay-as-you-go sim while travelling then do make sure that your phone is 'unlocked' or that you take it to a store to unlock it before leaving.

Good luck!

• ·
    • ·

Send Alex a Thank You Note