• Austin Dienst
  • "10-Day itinerary -- what are can't miss, off-the-beaten-path spots?"

Austin Dienst

Seattle, Washington

10-Day itinerary -- what are can't miss, off-the-beaten-path spots?

I'm trying to put together an itinerary for Morocco. It will be a group of 4 and we'll be there for 10-days at the end of September/beginning of October. I'd love to hit Fez, Marrakech, and possibly some of the Sahara. We have never been, but are excited to go. We love to eat, relax, and explore. We're not really budget-conscious and are looking for great times. Does anyone have any suggestions on can't miss spots, off-the-beaten-path experience, or sample itineraries they would be willing to share? Thanks in advance!

• Marrakech (city)

Marrakech

• Jemaa el-Fnaa (attraction)

Rue el Ksour Marrakech Menara Marrakech 40000 +212 661-350878

• Jardin de Majorelle (attraction)

Rue Yves Saint Laurent Marrakech Marrakech-Tensift-Al Haouz +212 5243-01894

• Tania Cypriano

Hi Austin. I was just there this past March filming for Booker Travels and had an amazing time. I feel I can write a book here since it's all so fresh in my mind and we're in the midst of posting the videos on our website and Youtube channel... but here it goes. Morocco is big, and most people choose to go to one area only. I think that going to FezFez
    Marrakech Fez
    and the Sahara Desert Fez is a great choice and you'll find that the two cities offer very different experiences. When in the city, try to stay at a riad. We did an episode where we show our favorites: the amazing Riad Camilia http://www.riadcamilia.com/ and the very tastefully renovated Riad Zaouia 44 http://zaouia44.com/. At Camilia, you'll meet Nico who is the most gracious host too. Also, don't miss visiting Riad Yima http://riadyima.com/ for some really cool shopping outside of the common souk articles. It's owned by artist Hassan Hajjaj who did the photo series called Kesh Angels on Marrakech women and motorcycles. In Fez we stayed at Riad El Amine Fes. The cool thing about riads is that they are located near the medinas, and provide you the experience of being inside a typical Moroccan home. For an unforgettable meal in Marrakech, check out La Sultana Marrakech http://lasultanahotels.com/marrakech, which is also an upscale option of a place to stay. You don't necessarily need a guide to go around the medina in Marrakech, but definitely recommend you to hire one in Fez. We had the sweet Hassan Idrissi (hassansweettours at yahoo.fr). My off-the-beaten-path tip for the medinas is to explore the alleys outside the main tourist streets. The Sahara is a must. Suggestions: spend a night in a berber tent, go for a sunrise camel trek, and visit the village of Khamlia for local Gnawa music. We had a driver who actually took us everywhere around Morocco and if you are 4, it might save you some money along the way, and get you to do more than figuring things out yourselves. If you go to our "A Berber Country" episode, you'll see a really off-the-beaten-path experience we would not have done without Amine and his contact info is on the tips section of the site. I wish you could take a 5th person with you. I am ready to go back to beautiful Morocco! And my son Booker, would probably ask to come along too :)

1. Fez (city)
    2. Marrakech (city)
    3. Sahara Desert (attraction)
    4. Riad Camilia (hotel)
    5. Riad Zaouia 44 (hotel)
    6. Riad Yima (hotel)
    7. Riad El Amine Fes (hotel)
    8. La Sultana Marrakech (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tania a Thank You Note