• Avery Zimmer
  • "Things to do with the kiddos besides the aquarium"

Avery Zimmer

Berkeley, California

Things to do with the kiddos besides the aquarium

My husband and I are planning on taking a day trip to Monterey one of these weekends to take our kids to the Monterey Aquarium.  We plan to get there early enough to do an early lunch, spend maybe 2-3 hours at the aquarium, then we'd like to explore more of Monterey and have dinner.  Besides the aquarium, what other fun kid-friendly activities are there to do?  Also, restaurant recommendations for lunch and dinner would be great.  We hear that there are good breweries down there, so if there are brewery restaurants that can accommodate 3 munchkins, even better.  Thanks!

• Tiffany Weber

If you're in Monterey with kids (especially younger ones), you absolutely have to go to the Dennis the Menace Park on Pearl Street. It isn't far from the Aquarium and is absolutely fabulous. So fun, HUGE, and great for kids. This is one of the best playgrounds I've ever seen and my kids didn't want to leave.

The Cannery Row area is full of shops and restaurants, but is a bit touristy to me. I love heading to the Historic District around Alvarado Street. There's a great Greek Restaurant that I love called Epsilon Fine Greek Restaurant that's amazing, but if that's not great for your family, you will find other restaurants in that area.

At the end of Alvarado Street is Portola Plaza. From here, you can walk along the water's edge on a beautiful path for miles to Lovers Point Park and beyond. It's truly an absolutely gorgeous walk and the kids will get some running around time and will love seeing sea lions out there in the wild. It's so cool.

There's a free MST Trolley (Monterey-Salinas Transit) that goes between Downtown Monterey , Old Fisherman's Wharf , Cannery Row, and the Monterey Bay Aquarium for FREE! It looks like a cable car.

If the season is right and you have time, the whale watching trips are wonderful. You may see several varieties of dolphins and whales. May be you need two days. :)

Wow Tiffany. I drove past Monterey 3x this past week. Next time I'm definitely going to have to stop off in it to check these places out! · (1 likelikes)

• Avery Z.

Avery Z.

Thank you so much Tiffany! Surprising that I live so close (just a couple hours away) yet know so little about the place. The Dennis the Menace park sounds great! · (1 likelikes)

• Tiffany W.

Tiffany W.

It's amazing what you can miss in Monterey... I didn't know about that beautiful walk along to Lover's Point until my 10th trip! That's why we like Trippy, right? :) Hope you have a great trip, Avery. Enjoy the park. It really is special. · (0 likelikes)

1. Dennis the Menace Park (attraction)
    2. Cannery Row (attraction)
    3. Epsilon Fine Greek Restaurant (restaurant)
    4. Lovers Point Park (attraction)
    5. Monterey (city)
    6. Old Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
    7. Monterey Bay Aquarium (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Tiffany a Thank You Note