Keith Spence

Denver, Colorado

Good food across the board

Any food spot recommendations in the Twin Cities?  My wife and I love good food and we'll be having a week's worth of meals there.  I'll ask about fine dining places for the evenings in another question, but we're open to any other food experiences, whether it's a grocery store, or a stand, etc, as long as it's good, quality stuff!

• Andrew Zimmern

Anything? Well, you might need to stay about month because these are just a few of my favorite Twin Cities food spots:

Asian Cuisine:

• Que Nha Vietnamise Restaurant : I love the grilled shrimp and beef roll-your-own spring rolls.
    • Hmong International Market : Every time I'm here I have to get the green papaya salad with sticky rice. It's so good.
    • Little Szechuan Inc : The cold noodles, kung pow chicken, sauteed cucumbers and double cooked pork are some of my favorite dishes here… but pretty much everything is good.
    • Quang Restaurant : Pho soup headquarters. It’s the best thing you can imagine eating on a cold winter day.
    • Shuang Cheng Restaurant : My wife and I had our wedding reception here, but don't let that fool you-- the space is pretty small. Super casual Chinese spot that reminds me of growing up in NYC in the 60s and 70s. This is the ultimate comfort food for me.
    • Mandarin Kitchen : The spot for Twin Cities dim sum. Gather lots of friends and go.

European Cuisine

• Lucia's : A quaint neighborhood gem featuring locally grown and organic menu (and a dog bar for your four-legged friend).
    • Brasa Rotisserie : Slow roasted pork, rotisserie chicken, cornbread, and sides galore. Add in a Mexican coke, chips and guac and you’re in for one of the best causal meals in the Twin Cities.
    • Ingebretsen's : We have our fair share of Scandinavians in Minnesota, and Ingebretsen’s is the best place in the city to pick up authentic Nordic eats. Salted pig toe, gamalost, dried mutton, lefse, blood sausage... you get the picture.
    • Kramarchuk's : Eastern European delicatessen that does fantastic sausages, soups, and a pretty killer pastrami sandwich.

Middle Eastern Cuisine

• Saffron Restaurant : Middle eastern cuisine from one of the most promising young chefs in the country. Try the lamb brains.

American (and then some)

• Lynden's Soda Fountain : This place is awesome.
    • 5-8 Club : The best Juicy Lucy in town. Period.
    • Midtown Global Market : You’ll find a little bit of everything here-- Vietnamese, Mexican, African, Caribbean food and goods. Say "hi" to my favorite pastry chef Michelle Gayer at Salty Tart. Order one of her coconut macaroons and your life will be forever changed.
    • Salty Tart : That said, I love Michelle Gayer, and so will you. She's one of the country's best pastry chefs (just ask her old boss Charlie Trotter). Stock up on savory pastries and coconut macaroons. They're mind-blowing.
    • Pizzeria Lola : The sunnyside up pizza might be the best in the entire country. No joke.
    • Punch Neapolitan Pizza : My favorite place to grab pizza and a salad in town. Last time I went, I had the Salame e Funghi and half of my kid’s Bambini. For a real treat, order your pie uncut and Doppio-style, meaning extra San Marzano tomatoes, olive oil and loads of mozzarella di bufala. I love the Highland Park location, the only outpost that has table service.

Coffee and Bakery

1. Que Nha Vietnamise Restaurant (restaurant)
    2. Hmong International Market (attraction)
    3. Little Szechuan Inc (restaurant)
    4. Quang Restaurant (restaurant)
    5. Shuang Cheng Restaurant (restaurant)
    6. Mandarin Kitchen (restaurant)
    7. Lucia's (restaurant)
    8. Brasa Rotisserie - St Paul (neighborhood)
    9. Ingebretsen's (attraction)
    10. Kramarchuk's (attraction)
    11. Saffron Restaurant (restaurant)
    12. Lynden's Soda Fountain (restaurant)
    13. 5-8 Club (restaurant)
    14. Midtown Global Market (restaurant)
    15. Salty Tart (restaurant)
    16. Pizzeria Lola (restaurant)
    17. Punch Neapolitan Pizza (restaurant)
    18. Victory 44 Coffee Bar & Provisions (restaurant)
    19. Rustica (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Andrew a Thank You Note