• Keith Spence
  • "Good date night restaurants in Twin Cities"

Keith Spence

Denver, Colorado

Good date night restaurants in Twin Cities

Any date night restaurants recommendations in the Twin Cities?  My wife and I are visiting for a week and we'd like a few nice dining options at night!

• Andrew Zimmern

I've got a few ideas:

• Piccolo: Chef Doug Flicker does small plates with a purpose. Everything you order here will make for three to five bites of the most thoughtful dishes you’ve had in a while-- perfectly crafted without even a dash of filler insight. I love the pork hocks with soft eggs. It’s a dish I dream about.
    • 112 Eatery: Chef/owner Isaac Becker took home the James Beard Award for Best Chef Midwest in 2011, but his food at 112 Eatery has been buzz-worthy for years. Open late, it’s a favorite after-hours hangout for other chefs in the neighborhood.
    • moto-i: The first sake brewery restaurant outside of Japan, order a flight of sake with a few appetizers. The Japanese meatballs are a must.
    • Barrio: This is one of my favorite places for upscale Mexican fare. They do fantastic riffs on street food (don’t miss the tacos... they’re all phenomenal), plus unique twists on tropical cocktails. Try the Macho Camacho, a margarita made with blood orange and ancho-infused tequila. Lots of n/a drinks, too.
    • Travail Kitchen: Young chefs breaking the mold-- no wait staff, no hostess. The cooks take your order, then cook it, then run it. Best part? You can get a 10-course tasting menu for two for $60. Sometimes it’s a little off the wall (offal burgers?), but when it works, it’s amazing.
    • Restaurant Alma: A restaurant with a cool urban loft feel and dishes that reflect the seasonal offerings around the Twin Cities.
    • Vincent: White tablecloth French cuisine that's not too stuffy. The Vincent burger is outstanding, by the way.
    • Haute Dish: Haute cuisine adaptations of traditional Midwestern fare. Think all meatloaves and hot dishes are created equal? Chef Landon Schoenefeld will have you reconsidering.
    • Sea Change: The best seafood in the city. Period. These guys focus on sustainable fare (I'm talking ethical fishing practices/species that are thriving in the wild), so you don't have a side of guilt with every bite. Great for a pre-Guthrie show. It's in the same building afterall.
    • The Bachelor Farmer: This Scandinavian restaurant is trending hard right now, but I think these guys will be around for the long-haul. After dinner (Swedish meatballs anyone?), head around back and downstairs to the unmarked Marvel Bar. Classic cocktails, swank décor, good-looking patrons... what's not to love?
    • La Belle Vie: Regarded as the pinnacle of Twin Cities fine dining for years, La Belle Vie is as relevant as ever. Unless you’re celebrating a special occasion or want to go all out, do a meal in the lounge. This is my favorite bar in town, cozy and romantic with Johnny Michaels mixing up some of the best cocktails in the country. Great food menu available in the lounge, too.
    • Parma 8200: The D'amicos know Italian food, and this upscale yet comfy restaurant in the 'burbs is my favorite of their restaurants right now. The tomato salad is unbelievable, and the fried risotto balls addictive.
    • Tilia: These guys make one of my favorite sandwiches-- the fish taco torta-- but everything is top-notch at Steven Brown's neighborhood restaurant. Don't skip the potted meat starter or the butterscotch pot de crème. It's my wife's favorite dessert, ever.
    • Heidi's Minneapolis: I love Stewart Woodman's food, and Heidi's 2.0 is as good as ever. Opt for the tasting menu, or if you want to dine a la carte, try the Chefzilla special where Woodman brings you a surprise course not on the menu. It's supposed to be fun and playful; just go with it!
    • Meritage: Fun French cuisine, cozy atmosphere, great seafood, fantastic brunch. It's one of my favorite additions to St. Paul in recent years. Rhymes with "heritage," by the way.

1. Piccolo (restaurant)
    2. 112 Eatery (restaurant)
    3. moto-i (restaurant)
    4. Barrio (restaurant)
    5. Travail Kitchen (restaurant)
    6. Restaurant Alma (restaurant)
    7. Vincent (restaurant)
    8. Haute Dish (restaurant)
    9. Sea Change (restaurant)
    10. The Bachelor Farmer (restaurant)
    11. La Belle Vie (restaurant)
    12. Parma 8200 (restaurant)
    13. Tilia (restaurant)
    14. Heidi's Minneapolis (restaurant)
    15. Meritage (restaurant)

• ·
    • ·

Send Andrew a Thank You Note