• Kauan Pirolla
  • "Is the fast ferry to caribbean a good idea?"

Kauan Pirolla

Brazil

Is the fast ferry to caribbean a good idea?

Hi, I'll spend about 10 days in Miami, I already know the city, I was thinking in take a fast ferry to caribbean. Is a good idea? Which one is the best cost-benefit?

• Susyn Stecchi

Hello, Kauan! Glad that you are coming to visit Miami!
    I don't have experience with the Miami-based ferries and can only speak to the Fort Lauderdale-based ferries out of Port Everglades. They are not generally used by people touring The Caribbean unless those people are transporting a vehicle or large cargo. If you are not planning on transporting a car to the carribbean, you are better taking one of the many very affordable small plane "commuter hops" or a day cruise to one of the islands, and renting a car on the island you visit (I have been to many of the islands and have never rented a car, partly because several of the islands run in British driving on the left side of the road and the fact that they had so much public transportation available that I just didn't need to rent a car). I don't think you will see a cost benefit from taking a ferry to any carribean island from Miami unless you are transporting a vehicle there. I hope you enjoy your visit!

• Kauan P.

Kauan P.

Hi, Susyn I want to take a cruise Which one do you think is the best? Which island is a great trip? Thank you for answer · (1 likelikes)

• Susyn S.

Susyn S.

Kauan, I will give you some suggestions depending on what kind of cruising you like to do. Let me tell you what kind of cruising I like first. I don't need extravaganzas on my cruiseships or spend my time in the onboard casinos. I like to have economical but comfortable accommodations, plenty of good food eating opportunities, fun shows to watch and musical performances to listen to, nice areas on deck to bask in the sun and read a book, saunas and hot tubs to unwind in, and lots of destination stops -- I prefer the time docked and visiting the destinations to the time on the ship at sea. So the answers that I give you are based on that kind of travelling preference, Kauan. I prefer cruises that make many stops and only have one or two sea days (where the ship spends the entire day at sea). Fortunately, both Miami (the Port of Miami) and Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) are some of the busiest cruise ship seaports in the United States, so you will have just about anything you desire to choose from. Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades is home to the deepest dock to accommodate the largest luxury cruise ship, the Oasis of the Seas. Miami's Port of Miami is also in the works of digging their own deep dock for a sister ship to the Oasis. These ships have everything; it's like Fifth Avenue and Central Park in NYC including all the restaurants and clubs and luxurious accommodations, plus a little bit of Busch Gardens located on a cruise ship -- and the prices to cruise on these ships reflect that. The destinations can also be limited by how deep the harbors in the destinations are, because many ports cannot accommodate these large cruise ships; they have to anchor far from shore and little water shuttles have to take the passengers back and forth to short, often with long lines waiting to go in either direction. There are many cruise lines less expensive and even more inexpensive. As an economy traveler, I tend to book my cruises on Carnival, which departs from both south Florida ports, and has many cruises hitting either the eastern Caribbean or the western Caribbean. I've been on both sets of itineraries. Some of my favorite islands to visit have included Jamaica (the port for cruise ships is Ochos Rios -- please visit Dunn's River Falls if you go there -- you will get very wet which is the whole idea but it is a spectacular attraction). St Martin/St Maarten is really pretty and actually consists of two different countries (with two different electrical systems) on the one shared island). Freeport in the Bahamas, and forgive me any other readers if you are insulted to hear this, but it is just a tourist and gambling dive in my opinion. I am sure it is exciting for someone who has come into the tropics for the first time, but I wouldn't waste your time trying to get there. St Thomas is nice (part of the US Virgin Islands, so your American cell phone will work on the American cell phone towers there, without being charged overseas rates). Even though it is American, for some reason, the cars drive on the left side of the road here, too, but it is beautiful and a fun island to visit. Here is a link to Port Everglades' online cruise guide, that should be informative (http://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=177607) and here is a link to the Port Everglades official website (http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/) to get more information. Here is a link to the Port of Miami's cruise guide (a PDF download) (http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/library/brochures/cruise-guide.pdf) and a link to the official website for the Port of Miami (http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/) to help you make some decisions. I hope you find some of this information helpful, Kauan. · (1 likelikes)

• Yesim I.

Yesim I.

Hi Susyn, isn´t there just a ferry to the bahamas? We did cruises in the past and just want to travel to the bahamas and spend some days there. I am afraid of those small planes ;( · (0 likelikes)

1. Miami (city)
    2. Fort Lauderdale (city)
    3. Port Everglades (attraction)
    4. The Caribbean (region)

• ·
    • ·

Send Susyn a Thank You Note